Hygrophila corymbosa "Compact"

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Steve Smith, 26 Aug 2008.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Just wondered if anyone had any experiences with this plant? I'm considering it as a smallish bushy plant for my mid-low light 80cm tank :)

2. Garuf

Garuf Member

From what I've read it's exactly the same as all other hygropholia's in the sense that it is extremely hardy and a useful "canary in a cage" plant. The only exception being it likes slightly higher light levels that standard Hygro.

3. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Yes, and it doesn't stay compact for very long in a well fed tank so you do have to prune it. On the other hand it might live up to it's billing in a mid-low light environment though. The plant looks gorgeous in the emmersed form but goes from elegant swan to ugly duckling (at least under high lighting it does). Staurogyne might be a better way to go since it's leaves get smaller whereas corymbosa's leaves get much larger.

Cheers,

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Thanks for the info guys :)

I might pilfer some staurogyne from my other tank :)

5. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

You`ve got that right. I doubt I`ll ever bother with it again.

Dave.

6. john starkey

john starkey Member

Hi All,i have this plant in my setup and i can assure you after a period of about six weeks it goes from compact to very tall,i wouldnt bother with it again but i sure aint gonna bin it :lol: regards john.