• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hygrophila pinnatifida

john arnold

hello

Other plants are doing well in my 240l, co2, ei fert, fluval 3.0 plant led but this goddam plant,above, just sits there for a while then grows little and loses leaves leaving a stump, whats the deal with this plant, any ideas whats wrong with my water parameters. Using Api kit, i know they are crap but its all i have to go on
Amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate appx 30ppm, kh 9(161ppm), gh 14(over214 ppm) All plants are in moving in the flow.
Also pogostemon helferin just sits there not dead but not growing, any ideas would he great
Thanks

It can be a temperamental plant, and is supposedly K hungry, and CO2 deficiency is always a suspect. Is your drop checker lime green at lights on and all the way till lights off?
Mine started to show signs of deficiency, I'm now dosing 3x recommended dose of TNC Complete and it's growing just fine.
Can you post a few pics of your tank, it might help with problem id.

It can be a temperamental plant, and is supposedly K hungry, and CO2 deficiency is always a suspect. Is your drop checker lime green at lights on and all the way till lights off?
Mine started to show signs of deficiency, I'm now dosing 3x recommended dose of TNC Complete and it's growing just fine.
Can you post a few pics of your tank, it might help with problem id.
Hello
My bubble counter is like maybe 6 bubbles per second too fast to count, im using aquamedic reactor as dont like bubbles, i rescaped this tank in february, you can see the stumps of the plant here and there, surprisingly the crypts i put in the sand are growing well too, crazy aye, i EI dose every day as instructed from Aquarium plant food uk, now i do only have a Fluval 306 filter but all plants are moving so i dont think its flow

Attachments

• 69C1EEE9-560E-4EF8-9FB5-62A792FABCB3.jpeg
    69C1EEE9-560E-4EF8-9FB5-62A792FABCB3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
  • F36F5C87-BA6C-4A2A-9AD6-D6BE2C0D67F2.jpeg
    F36F5C87-BA6C-4A2A-9AD6-D6BE2C0D67F2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 139
  • 2ECBAEFE-DBB5-46B9-B2EE-3130C61D4559.jpeg
    2ECBAEFE-DBB5-46B9-B2EE-3130C61D4559.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
  • 2087F6EA-3ED0-4884-B0A6-F942150F4B10.jpeg
    2087F6EA-3ED0-4884-B0A6-F942150F4B10.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
Sorry also drop checker is not quite there on lime green although it comes on 2 hrs before lights its just that bubble counter is so fast i felt it would run out really quick, i have just tweeked it a little more now

Okay, it's likely a CO2 issue. Bubble counters don't measure CO2 they're just a visual guide to help you dial your CO2 in.
You need a drop checker, check out the tutorial CO2 Measurement Using a Drop Checker

Posted at the same time :)

Personally, I don't think the plant likes being underwater too much so not dialling your CO2 in properly is probably an issue; your drop checker looks a long way off lime green in the image.

You could also try increasing your k fertz dose.

I think it also likes relatively high light, I'm not familiar with your light unit tho', so can't say for sure if that might be an issue.

Very nice scape btw.

Posted at the same time :)

Personally, I don't think the plant likes being underwater too much so not dialling your CO2 in properly is probably an issue; your drop checker looks a long way off lime green in the image.

You could also try increasing your k fertz dose.

I think it also likes relatively high light, I'm not familiar with your light unit tho', so can't say for sure if that might be an issue.

Very nice scape btw.

Thanks man, ill increase co2 gradually as i dont want algae issues as have not had any since rescape, lucky or am i learning, the light is a good one and the plant is at top so very close to light, anyway ill increase the co2 and go from there, do you mean potassium sulphate or pot nitrate, my mix had pot nitrate, pot sulphate and mag sulphate, with trace elements every other day. The last mix i made up i decreased pot nitrate a little as my nitrate levels were like 80 ppm

As far as i know this thing can grow on anything.. it likes co2 alot.. I got it growing emerged and its a weed.. 2ppm K is not alot.. I dose 22.5ppm K weekly in the tank the pinnatifida grows..
I have only been doing this for a year now, I get dry fertz from Aquarium olamt food .co.uk and my mix is
4 tsp Pot nitrate
1 tsp pot phosphate
6tsp mag sulphate
In 500ml bottle tuesda,wed,sund

1 tsp chelated trace in 500ml bottle mon,wed,friday

30% water change on sunday

So not sure what to change there, i use this as i have 8 tanks and pre mixed is expensive

I don't use premixed either, use https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php for calculating my dosage around EI. There is no right or wrong I dose around PPS pro in an other tank and plants grow just fine there only slower. The most important factor is light, co2 and maybe just as important is your circulation.

Ok cheers, the flow is ok as i see plants moving in it which as far as i am concerned means its getting nutrients and co2, well i upped the co2 so ill see how that goes......

Back