hygrophila polysperma curling and becoming textured

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by keeton, 11 Oct 2009.

1. keeton

keeton Member

hi guys
    Details:
    30g planted
    fully stocked
    nutrafin co2 kit with home brew recipe
    TPN+
    1.7 WPG 7 hours aday
    sand substrate

Up until about 2 weeks ago my hygrophila was growing really well in my 30g communuity set-up and then all of a sudden the top leaves/top few levels of leaves (blah) started to curl and and become really textured, so i pruned them heavily (about 7/8 days ago) and now all the new bits of the plant and shoots are curling and becoming textured.

All help Appreciated.

2. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

High probability of poor CO2/flow. Try supplementing liquid carbon and review flow distribution.

Cheers,

3. keeton

keeton Member

okay i'll look into that, i havn't changed anything since it was growing well so i dont get why its suddenly gone like this
    hmmm

4. Garuf

Garuf Member

I had that issue last time I grew it, it all grew perfectly till about 3 inches below the waterline then everything all became curled and withered. Aiming more flow at it didn't seem to work for me but I understand my dosing wasn't spot on so it could that mine is unrelated.

5. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

This is a poor assumption. If plants grow well hasn't the total biomass in the tank (leaf, root, stem) changed dramatically? Doesn't this mean that more mass requires more CO2/nutrients? Doesn't more mass block/disrupt more flow? In actuality you've changed everything. :woot: It also didn't happen suddenly, it would've started happening from day 1. It's just that it suddenly became obvious.

Certainly, the condition could be due to some other anomaly, but CO2/flow is the first place to start because CO2 has the highest impact by far of any parameter and it's the easiest to screw up as well.

Cheers,

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

very very true. this is one thing i take notice of in my tanks, as plant mass gets bigger, you must up co2. otherwise problems do occur.