• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hygrophila polysperma curling and becoming textured

keeton

hi guys
Details:
30g planted
fully stocked
nutrafin co2 kit with home brew recipe
TPN+
1.7 WPG 7 hours aday
sand substrate

Up until about 2 weeks ago my hygrophila was growing really well in my 30g communuity set-up and then all of a sudden the top leaves/top few levels of leaves (blah) started to curl and and become really textured, so i pruned them heavily (about 7/8 days ago) and now all the new bits of the plant and shoots are curling and becoming textured.

All help Appreciated.

High probability of poor CO2/flow. Try supplementing liquid carbon and review flow distribution.

Cheers,

okay i'll look into that, i havn't changed anything since it was growing well so i dont get why its suddenly gone like this
hmmm

I had that issue last time I grew it, it all grew perfectly till about 3 inches below the waterline then everything all became curled and withered. Aiming more flow at it didn't seem to work for me but I understand my dosing wasn't spot on so it could that mine is unrelated.

keeton said:
okay i'll look into that, i havn't changed anything since it was growing well so i dont get why its suddenly gone like this
hmmm
This is a poor assumption. If plants grow well hasn't the total biomass in the tank (leaf, root, stem) changed dramatically? Doesn't this mean that more mass requires more CO2/nutrients? Doesn't more mass block/disrupt more flow? In actuality you've changed everything. :woot: It also didn't happen suddenly, it would've started happening from day 1. It's just that it suddenly became obvious.

Certainly, the condition could be due to some other anomaly, but CO2/flow is the first place to start because CO2 has the highest impact by far of any parameter and it's the easiest to screw up as well.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
If plants grow well hasn't the total biomass in the tank (leaf, root, stem) changed dramatically? Doesn't this mean that more mass requires more CO2/nutrients? Doesn't more mass block/disrupt more flow?

very very true. this is one thing i take notice of in my tanks, as plant mass gets bigger, you must up co2. otherwise problems do occur.

Back