• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hygrophila Polysperma

I originally had this plant as a tag-a- long from a package from a friend. But it’s such a prolific grower and when given good lighting, can give off some really pretty growth.
F28A207A-902F-455E-8877-7C7A152BE19A.jpeg
2B3E300E-F9D8-4DE4-A096-210D22A28BC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful specmen and nice photograph! This was my finding as well, the Hygrophila was one of the few plants that was a definite success in a low-tech (or even potentially no-tech) setup: Hygrophila polysperma, Fireplace aquarium. Once I moved to more intense lighting, added CO2 and EI dosing, with the small size of my aquarium it was too much and I had to take it out.

Yes it can quickly take over if you don’t maintain it. I have already uprooted it all once completely and replanted the prettiest stems. In my high tech I have to chop it once a week, and the more you do that, the bushier it gets. It’s a great indicator plant too. If you can’t get this plant to grow then something is very off.

Hygro polysperma is classified as an invasive weed in part of US and is banned from selling in some states. I got mine from a fish club auction. It stays fully foliated in the bottoms in my medium light setup despite repeated topping. I am not sure if it can be perpetually topped without replanting.

I have the Sunset variety with white vein leaves from virus infection but lately they are disappearing, sort like variegated Liriopi in the garden gradually taken over by normal green leaves. I am not sure if the virus is eliminated because I dosed Glut regularly or I pruned away the veined leaves.

Apparently, the leaves turn pink because of a Nitrogen deficiency in Hygro.

Back