• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hygrophila sp. chai

Hanuman

Question for the plant experts/botanists.

I puchased this Hygrophila sp. Chai TC in early February. Planted them in 2 different tanks. Unfortunately they are reverting back to their original stated as can be seen in the pictures.

Will removing the leaves that are reverting back stop the plant from completing its transformation back to it's "Araguaia" state?

IMG_4159.JPG
IMG_4162.jpg
IMG_4163.jpg

My experiences with this plant are defenitely not good. I can grow it on emerse, but I have from several years of trying, never had it continue to grow the variegated leaves submerged.
Most of the plants just quietly die off, and a few manage to go back to the lanceae (or 'araguaia') origin.
- sorry, but I'd be really, really surprise if you succeed (and if you do, I'd love to hear how...... 🤔)
It can become a nice, little potted plant in your window, though, producing small, blue-purple flowers.

My experiences with this plant are defenitely not good. I can grow it on emerse, but I have from several years of trying, never had it continue to grow the variegated leaves submerged.
Most of the plants just quietly die off, and a few manage to go back to the lanceae (or 'araguaia') origin.
- sorry, but I'd be really, really surprise if you succeed (and if you do, I'd love to hear how...... 🤔)
It can become a nice, little potted plant in your window, though, producing small, blue-purple flowers.
Well other people can. Here's Dennis Wong specimen which he has had for several years now.
Hygrophila_sp_Chai_1800x.jpg

2hrAquaristDSCF2624_1024x1024.jpg

For the plant to have reached that size from TC I would say it is at least 2/3 years old. The plant requires a good amount of light, plenty Co2 and clean and rich substrate. If the plant enters into stress that's when it start reverting back to its original condition.

Hi all,
Will removing the leaves that are reverting back stop the plant from completing its transformation back to its original state?
I don't know, but I would remove them, they have much more chlorophyll in them and will grow much more quickly than the pink leaves.
One needs to like pink obviously
I have <"an alternative"> for if things don't work out.

cheers Darrel

Back