• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I accidentally salted my assassin snails with EI ferts

I've been looking at some numbers to see if this idea of bicarbonate killing snails makes sense. I'm worried because I also use it in similar quantities.

Is it really possible that these levels of sodium can hurt our more sensitive fauna?

Hanuman and others here think it’s not a great idea to use it in a soft water tank. So I’m going err on the side of caution and stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also think that any CaCO3 based product would be less than ideal, since you would have an osmotic shock with every water change, removing hard water and adding soft water, then having it harden slowly over the week.

I don't know of an alternative to raise KH, I don't have access to potassium bicarbonate and my understanding is that KH aquarium products are basically sodium bicarbonate in a fancy package.

That's why it worries me to consider sodium bicarbonate as unsafe, I need to raise KH for my shrimps, or so I'm told.

Hi all,
I'm guessing that Assassin Snails (Clea (Anetome) helena) aren't too bothered by 50 ppm sodium (Na). They don't <"survive in soft water"> long term.
So it seems that 50ppm still leaves us safely in the fresh water category. Is it really possible that these levels of sodium can hurt our more sensitive fauna?
Limestone aquifers often supply water with <"quite a lot of sodium, and if those limestones formed in evaporite basins?>" They can be very salt(s) rich. Lake Tanganyika, for example, would be <"pretty sodium rich">.

Having said that it does depend on the fish and the plants, soft water organisms don't tend to do well in <"water with much sodium in it"> and I try to limit its level in the tank.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back