• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

I could use a little advice on flame moss

FishBeast

Hi guys, I am now in the buying plant phase of settling up my planted tank (finally). One of my sources of inspiration was a contestant from the ADA contest in 2008 Weerayut Soemphomphoemsuk. I love the way he has created what looks to be pine trees with what I believe to be flame moss.

12.jpg

I am very interested in re-creating something similar to this in my own scape as it suits what I am attempting to acheive. What I could use is some advice on how to grow and maintain flame moss. Preferably in regards to moss trees or the like. I would like to know what I am in for as I am aiming for a medium-high maintainence planted tank.

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Flame moss is easy to look after, and it does well in low and high tech tanks. I have found that its one of the slowest mosses to grow and it will take a long time to achieve the results you are after and requires some good prunning to get it in the pine shape.

FishBeast

Sweet, thanks for that. I have to say that I would prefer to shape a slow growing moss into a tree as opposed to a fast growing one. Thats alot of pruning!

thats a really unusual looking tank, nice source for insparation!

if you give it a go, be sure to start a journal, be really interesting to see the progress!

actually start a journal regardless! ;0)

Jase

LondonDragon said:
Flame moss is easy to look after, and it does well in low and high tech tanks. I have found that its one of the slowest mosses to grow and it will take a long time to achieve the results you are after and requires some good prunning to get it in the pine shape.

I'm glad you said that, I was wondering why mine had done very little :oops:

Mark Evans

Expert
LondonDragon said:
hahaha mine grew about 1-1.5cm in 5 months! LOL

i managed to get it to about 1.5 inches in 7 weeks. it was near the light in a high tech tank though.I trimmed the damn stuff back, and it's now attached itself to the wood and crawling :angelic:

FishBeast

Sweet. Thanks guys. I have changed my mind (for about the 10th time in the last 3 months since I have been planning/setting up this tank. I will post a journal once I get it fully operational.