• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I have a Bristlenose, what kind of scape?

pinchez

I’m about to setup a new tank 80L x 50D x 40H cm’s for my current fish stock which includes Tetras, Cory, Pea Puffer and a Bristlenose Plec. Up until now my scape as just consisted of silica sand, bogwood and fake plants but I want to create something nicer with real plants in the new tank but I am aware I’m limited by my Pleco which is a pet and staying!

So with this in mind what sort of scape should I be thinking of that’s both pleasing to the eye and Pleco proo?

Hi all,
I’m about to setup a new tank 80L x 50D x 40H cm’s for my current fish stock which includes Tetras, Cory, Pea Puffer and a Bristlenose Plec. Up until now my scape as just consisted of silica sand, bogwood and fake plants but I want to create something nicer with real plants in the new tank but I am aware I’m limited by my Pleco which is a pet and staying!

So with this in mind what sort of scape should I be thinking of that’s both pleasing to the eye and Pleco proof?
Floating plants and Ferns are pretty plec proof.

If you feed your Bristlenose some green veg. (Courgette, Green Pepper, Runner Bean etc) you may find it leaves all your plants alone.

The one that is nearly always eaten is <"Echinodorus (Bleherae) bleheri">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, regularly feed my Plec Cucumber, Courgette and Red Pepper which is her favourite 👍

how are Plecs with Moss?

My BN (and similar sp.) said
Thanks for that strange foodonastick .... but I have all I need with these delicious Sword leafs

I had several Sword varieties that survived alright but didn’t have a single unloved (ie undamaged) leaf among them - though back then all the locally available ancistrus were predominantly wild caught (most local stock are Asian farmed now, the awesome SA transhipper seems to have retired(?) and the replacement fellow is an erratic shipper, at best)

I've always had ancistris and the only plants I've "blamed" for them eating are amazon swords as suggested above. I don't have any problems with them and anything else I've tried really apart from the odd uprooted plant, due to their nighttime bulldozing.

If your new to planted tanks then anubias, java fern, and bucephalandra tied to rocks or bogwood is a good start. I'd also try some cryptocorynes as they tend to come with good root systems that can be buried. Mosses are also ok but just might be moved around a little rather than eaten.

Back