• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I have to move my aquarium...

Good luck, i dont envy you.
Is it a big one?.... cant you leave everything in situ, lower the water right down and get some mates to manhandle it for you?.....then just refill, simples :crazy: :lol:

I have had to move my 180l tank a couple of times now. Twice now to decorate behind, once for major tank refit/clean/convert to planted and shortest stay move for 2 days when wooden floor was fitted.

I siphoned water into large flexi buckets http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/160179, use yellow bucket you can then see what is in them, put fish, heater, plastic weed and air stone in as temporary home. They stayed in one of these from a Friday night to Sunday afternoon when I converted tank to planted. Cover the bucket stop attempted jumpers !!!

Drain rest of water into further buckets, if you intend to reuse the water.

I got the tank to about 1-2" deep and my wife and I were able to lift/carry the tank (still heavy) to a table with sheet of wooden board on to act as support. Easy to move stand then. Lifted tank back onto stand, added water back in, added fish back in job done.

For moving when we had solid wooden floor fitted replacing carpet, I only drained 1/2 the tank. One of the floor fitters and I managed to lift/drag the tank & stand to middle of room. We then cut the carpet around the tank, leaving a run of carpet back to the wall, which we rolled up behind the tank. They then fitted the solid wooden floor, where the tank would be, left day or two for glue to dry, unrolled the strip of carpet, which now acted as a floor protector as we lifted/dragged tank back and by lift and pulling got carpet out from under the tank. Job done.

It's only around 100L but I can't remove the soil or the gravel as it will get mixed up and it's so heavily planted.

I have a 50L container to save 50% of the water. The fish will be bagged/bucketed. Then I'll refill with 50% fresh water at the new place.

How to catch 15 Tetras in a heavily planted tank? *sigh*.

I might bucket them tonight so I don't have to worry about it in the morning. Doubt I'll even need a heater with the temps as they are....hitting 25C right now 8)

Morgan Freeman said:
... Doubt I'll even need a heater with the temps as they are....hitting 25C right now 8)...
My tanks reading 29.0°C at the mo...and that is with the heater off for the last couple of days. I assumed I was having heater issues so I turned it off, looks like heater OK.

Might of course be failed thermometer.....

Back