• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I just can't resist it - Can you?

Arana

I popped into a LFS today to pick up a new bulb for my 120cm, so i walked to the back of the shop, chose my bulb and turned around BUT by the time i had made it to the counter i had... :eek:

3 pots of Vallis
1 Mexican Oakleaf
3 pots of Daonoi
and some Rotala macrandra

is it just me that can't pass a nice plant without buying it, even if you havn't got a clue where you are going to stick it, or does anyone else suffer from this affliction? :)

Yes and no - I don't know of any lfs that does decent plants (in good condition) and the only one that does ok, stocks side by side draceania and anubias barteri v nana, 50% of which are flowering! So I could have a tankful of anubias if I wanted, but nothing else as everything else is cack :(

You're lucky to have one with decent plants - I'd be struggling to resist if I had those options.

Good choice, mexican oakleaf is a weed however, grows rampant!
and more vallis?! as soon as it catches hold you'll have a tank full!

Hi Mark

I used to be the same. At one point I had 23 separate species in my 125 litre.

Now I have a firmer idea of what I want from my aquascapes, I'm fairly ruthless in plant selection.

Growing plants is fun. Grow as many as you can, then you know what does what, and how, for you.

As you become a better grower (you already are good BTW), you can start to emphasise on aquascaping, where the potential is limitless. If aquascaping floats your boat, of course. Some folk are pure gardeners through and through.

Most 'serious' 'scapers plan their layout and choose the plants accordingly. I do this now, but still chuck in the odd plant if I feel it adds to the picture.

George Farmer said:
Some folk are pure gardeners through and through.

Grow and Mow :D

The more plants you try the more you learn how the different plants grow and which ones are the most suitable for you. It's the only way to learn.

James

JamesC said:
George Farmer said:
Some folk are pure gardeners through and through.

Grow and Mow :D

The more plants you try the more you learn how the different plants grow and which ones are the most suitable for you. It's the only way to learn.

James

I think you are all correct, it's about expanding your knowledge of all aquatic plants,

:) the more i grow the more i know :)

If it looks like a healthy specimen and i havn't grown it before then i'm almost duty bound to buy it and try it, that's what i tell the misses anyway everytime i come home with a new bag of plants or the postman knocks on the door with another box marked "Live Plants" :lol:

You should live where I do, no temptation to buy plants from the LFS here, all completly rubbish :( so i have to do it via the internet for half decent plants, I think my Anubais is the only really decent plant I have ever bought from my LFS.

JOHNNY

Been there done that, like George I've given up buying everything and anything, choose more carefully now. Good to try new things though, that goes for life in general too ;)

I think it's a process you have to go through before you get more choosy. You don't know what the best plant will be for a particular place if you haven't seen it or grown it before.

drive past a prestwood aquatics every night from work.They have a plant delivery once or twice a week they are getting there plants from somewhere in holland now and they are outstanding the only thing is i have to sneek it in the house without the misses seeing cos she goes mental cos im spending my money on MORE PLANTS .

hixy said:
drive past a prestwood aquatics every night from work.They have a plant delivery once or twice a week they are getting there plants from somewhere in holland now and they are outstanding the only thing is i have to sneek it in the house without the misses seeing cos she goes mental cos im spending my money on MORE PLANTS .

I can't wait until I've finished my work experience (hopefully they'll offer me a job :oops: .)

Just thinking visiting the lfs for 5 days straight for the whole day and being an employee...

Then again they haven't accepted yet... :(

Back