I love my part-time job...

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by George Farmer, 6 Mar 2008.

1. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Many may know I contribute regularly to PFK and PPM. Writing articles is fun, but I love creating aquascapes even more.

Tomorrow will probably be one of the highlights of my aquascaping 'career' to date.

In the PFK photo studio I am setting up a, freshly shipped from Germany, 60cm opti-white tank and bespoke cabinet with all glassware, ADA stuff etc. It will be a 'proper' ADA-style Nature Aquarium.

All equipment supplied by Aqua Essentials, except the light (60cm 4 x T5 Arcadia luminaire).

Plants supplied from my current set ups and Tropica. I have more than I can use, mosly XL motherplants or mature plants from my 80cm, so we're literally spoilt for choice.

Midori wood and mini landscape rocks...

Dan Crawford is helping me.

Neil Hepworth is photographing.

We have all day tomorrow for set up and the following Friday to introduce fish etc. for final photos.

Unfortunately we won't be able to share any photos until after the magazine is released - May issue, out in mid-April.

Should be fun.... :D

2. Lisa_Perry75

Lisa_Perry75 Member

Wow that sounds sooo cool!

You can let us know if opti-white is worth the extra money... So what happens with the stuff once you have taken the pics? Does it all go back to AE?

3. Simon Dickenson

Simon Dickenson Member

do you need a hand? lol I'd love to see what these opti tanks look like in the flesh.... i want one....

4. Martin

Martin Member

Very interesting George, I too will be starting my 60cm project this weekend. Mine unfortunately will be the budget version of your kit, probably only similarities being the 4x t5 arcadia luminaire! No doubt you and Dan will have fun setting up and playing with the new gadgets.Looking forward to another beautiful scape.

5. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Just so long as you dont forget us all when you become a high flying aquascaper.

San

6. vauxhallmark

vauxhallmark Member

Wouldn't it be great if this article prompts lots of people to buy an aquarium from aquaessentials, leading to ... a reduction in price! Wooh- hoo!

Would love to buy one of those tanks. Save save save.

7. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Sounds great George, may have to invest in one of these tanks too.. ( if the mrs allows ;) ).

Btw, are you still doing your main job too?

8. StevenA

StevenA Member

That sounds better than most of our main jobs :lol:

Oh and don't tell me, i suppose you get paid for it too ;)

9. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Of course he does, he gets free PFK subs. :D

10. Arana

Arana Member

Sounds like nice work if you can get it mate :D

and it's good news for UKAPS and the hobby in general everytime you get to show off a scape in PFK :D

11. George Farmer

I actually pay subscription. :p

12. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Bummer. :wideyed:

13. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

It's a tough life ;)

I'm really looking forward to it. A few years ago i was always restricted by budget and that without question hindered my progress. (thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it) In recent years in particular since we formed UKaps the barriers have been lifted which have enabled me to progress on many levels. Getting to scape with some of the "greats" IMO being George and Graeme is priceless. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow and no doubt we will create something pretty cool! If you don't already subscribe to PFK then find a news agent that does because you don't want to miss this one, LOL. :)

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Expert

Dan,

You are missing someone off your list of greats :twisted:

15. George Farmer

Amano?! Knott? Senske? :lol:

Gay - the original UK aquascaping guru - it's official, Matt Clarke says so... ;)

16. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

If there's a list of worst scapers, then i'd like the title.

[​IMG]

17. stevet

stevet Member

Lucky b4ggers!

Do let us know about the opti-white!?

I wonder if anyone will ever devise a non-toxic anti algae coating for glass!?

18. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

19. George Farmer

Well, what a day!

It didn't get off to the best start. My shipment of Tropica plants didn't turn up. So I had to resort to ripping all the plants from my 80cm and using them.

Trouble is, I had the 'scape planned with the plants coming from Tropica, mostly XL motherplants.

Anyway, it all turned out ok in the end and I managed to get some nice specimens from Maidenhead Aquatics in Crowland to supplement my own plants .

Dan and I worked hard non-stop from 9am to 6pm. I can't say I consider it work though. The aquascape looked quite good I think, but I'll let you be the judge of that when you see it.

The opti-white tank and cabinet, courtesy of Aqua Essentials, with all the glassware etc. looked the business. Admittedly not cheap, but the quality is second-to-none.

We had a lot of visitors to the studio who all seemed to be very interested in the 'Nature Aquarium' concept. We even had advertising girls asking if I was the actual "George Farmer", as they'd heard loads about me... :oops:

We're in the studio again this Friday for fish shots etc. and there's going to be some video footage too apparently.

Here's a sneak preview of me in action, deliberately over-exposed so the surprise of the aquascape isn't spoilt.

Finally, a massive thanks to Dan Crawford for taking the day off work and helping me out. Without him I would have been there until 3am...

The step-by-step will be featured in the May issue of PFK magazine.

f_meinstudiom_67e36d4.jpg

20. Garuf

Garuf Member

everyone with photoshop quick copy and paste before he takes it down!

looks promising George, shame about the plants though.