• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I Think I've Invented A New Tool

BarryH

I do get problems with tiny snails that climb up the walls of my tanks and in the past I've used an artists paint brush with a long handle to try and pick them out. I was a bit worried that the metal ferrule of the brush might scratch the glass so I looked for something else to try.

I had a box of foam brushes that I bought from Hobbycraft some time ago, I took the smallest, a 1" brush and cut the handle down to about an 1 1/2" long, drilled a 4mm hole into the handle and glued in a length of wood dowel that would reach the bottom of all the tanks. If you want to get really professional, wipe a bit of clear varnish over the wooden parts to protect it a bit.

The foam seems to stick to the snails and pulls them out very easily.

49833463016_5dccc7d67d_k.jpg
Foam Pad by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Flickr is by far the largest photo sharing platform on Earth.

Something like 87 million registered members and roughly (give or take the odd one or two) 3.7 million photos uploaded daily. Recently bought out by Smugmug, who are probably better known for their website building tools. There are basically two levels on Flickr, free and paid, main differences are the number of images you can have loaded on your page. The Flickr computer algorithm selects "in their opinion" the top 100 images a day out of the 3.7 million or so that get posted and I'm pleased to say I've been lucky enough to have a number of mine selected.

It's a great platform but slowly changing every day.

@BarryH I've heard of it but didn't what it was, i'm not a very 'techy' person! I'll have a look though it may be good for tank inspiration and ideas.
I saw some of your images made it onto itv news/weather too, good stuff.
I'd like to get a proper camera and start taking some good photos instead of using my phone, I've always been interested but don't know where to start!
Cheers

Back