• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

i want to CUT my tank

dev92

Seedling
i have built a 48x18x24 inch tall tank to house african cichlids.. now i cha ged my mind and bought all the stuff to build a planted aquarium. but im not satisfied with the layout due to the tank height.. the depth doesn't elevate due to tall height.. now i want to chop 6 inches off my tank height.. is there a way i can do it while the tank is still intact???

Yes you can!
I have done that very thing before but there are risks and complication.
I cut two inches off a 6mm thick 800 x 350mm tank, I cut it outside in my garden useing a good quality glass cutter.

Normally you would cut the glass sheet lying down and snap off the cut in one go but, with the glass in place you will have to tap the back once the cut is made until it fractures along the whole length.
Then snap it off however this will leave a sharp and possibly ragged edge so you will have to either cover the edge with a plastic strip of grind it smooth with a diamond wet stone.
If you are confident then yes it is possible but I would not say easy by any means, perhaps take it to a professional glass cutter?

As you have built it yourself, would suggest you use some very thin sharp blades and disassemble the 4 sides , clean off the silicone with white sprits, and take them to a local glass shop and get them to cut it down and then run the cut edges through their polishing machine.

As @foxfish says it is possible to cut it down in an assembled state but one difficult diy job, with a strong likelyhood you will damage the glass or yourself ! :nailbiting:

Back