IAPLC 2008 Contest Booklet

Discussion in 'Aqua Essentials' started by aaronnorth, 17 Jan 2009.

1. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ts_id=2232

Does anyone have this (or previous editions?) and think it is worth the money? I was thinking about getting a couple of aquajournals but i saw this and thought it may be worth getting this instead.

If anyone thinks the aquajournals are better then please point in me in the right direction of buying one as there is so many!

2. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Aquajournals are good but not great, they have some layouts but all the wording is in japanese (except for 5 issues) so its just for the photos.
    At least with this book you get over a thousand layouts, I might get it myself when I next order something from AE, didn't spot it on the site before.

3. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

I've got this book.

I got it because I thought ''wow, over a thousand aquascapes'' but to be honest I prefer the Nature Aquarium Books. With the IAPC books, the photos are very small and there's NO info about the scape AT ALL. I was quite let down to be honest.

I can't compare them to the aquajournals because I've never read one.

4. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i'm with thomas. initially on buying the results book you think you have 1000 scape to get inspired from but in reality the first few 100 that are to be taken seriously and with the odd really good scape strangely placed in the 800's :? but in lower placed tanks i think there's a lot more risks that have been taken and you get some great ideas from those.

the Aqua journal range is where it's at for me. regardless of the printed language. i learnt my stem trimming from these things....that's not to say you cant learn it anywhere else, but I've tried to find really a curate information about long-term trimming and techniques of stems and couldnt.

Aqua journals and the catalogues are a must! . the imagery says everything i need to know regardless of text.

5. Nick16

Nick16 Member

do you know what aqua journals are in english?

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

theres only about 5 of them. hell i dont even read the ones in english :lol: pictures really are a 1000 words in the case of aqua journlas ;)

7. Nick16

Nick16 Member

each to their own, does anyone know the numbers of the english ones? volume.......

for a newbie like me the words will be a good help.

8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

why? what stuff cant you learn from a site like ukaps that you think an aqua journal will give you? the ones in English don't give a ton of information away.

don't forget nick I've only been doing this a year(less than a year in the NA style) so that's still noob territory and managed without english lit . it's about visuals mate, not the written word.

I'm sure Richard will give info on which ones are in English.

9. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Thanks for the comments, i will go with the aqua journals next time i order.

glad i asked now :)

10. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

11. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member