• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Icarus Ville" - 60cm shrimp tank scape

the acadama has been quite good in this tank. It was however "run in" before i used it as it had already been in the tank for afew months before hand when I had some wood and spare plants in there. The only problem ive found with it is that the granule size is too big and that its not as easy to plant in as ada aquasoil. next time id probaby just buy a bag or aquasoil or oli knott to try.

Yeh the one time I got it to 'work' was after a good few months of pumping HC into it before it finally took hold. The bonsai place I got it from said they sieve it before using it on the trees to remove the dust to stop it clogging and presumably to get rid of the larger chunks, which might well also help. I've thought some of the bits are quite large.

Sam

What a tank Stu, i'm truly blown away! And as always, the photography is fantastic. Once i get the studio lighting then you're gonna have to come show me what to do LOL
Well impressed with it all Stu, you should be very proud!

Just wanted to to say , love the scape. The Dragon stone is excellent and has made me seriously consider for my next scape.

Excellent photos! Like the whole hairdryer trick!

andyh

stuworrall said:
The only problem ive found with it is that the granule size is too big and that its not as easy to plant in as ada aquasoil.

I have to agree with you there. Think if I used it again then I'd seive it first then maybe mix some the bigger particles in with some JBL aquabasis to bulk it out a little.

I really love what you've done with the Akadama though. Tank looks brilliant, and will only look better as it grows in.

Dan Crawford said:
What a tank Stu, i'm truly blown away! And as always, the photography is fantastic. Once i get the studio lighting then you're gonna have to come show me what to do LOL
Well impressed with it all Stu, you should be very proud!
cheers dan :D Alway up for a bit of photography practical sessions!

Themuleous said:
Yeh the one time I got it to 'work' was after a good few months of pumping HC into it before it finally took hold. The bonsai place I got it from said they sieve it before using it on the trees to remove the dust to stop it clogging and presumably to get rid of the larger chunks, which might well also help. I've thought some of the bits are quite large.
dsandson said:
stuworrall said:
The only problem ive found with it is that the granule size is too big and that its not as easy to plant in as ada aquasoil.

I have to agree with you there. Think if I used it again then I'd seive it first then maybe mix some the bigger particles in with some JBL aquabasis to bulk it out a little.

I really love what you've done with the Akadama though. Tank looks brilliant, and will only look better as it grows in.

I did actually sieve the acadama through the three different sized bonsai sieves I have. The problem with the bags is that theres lots of big stuff, some powder and small stuff which you dont want and not as much of the "middle" size which is better for planting. I think to get a lot of the middle sized granules I would have had to use about 3 or four bags which kind of defeats the object when you then look at aquasoil. This is Red line acadama by the way. I just used it in mine as I had it going spare after re-potting my trees.

andyh said:
Just wanted to to say , love the scape. The Dragon stone is excellent and has made me seriously consider for my next scape.

Excellent photos! Like the whole hairdryer trick!
Thanks andyh, dragon is definately a nice stone to use. make sure you clean it before putting it in though as is usually covered in loose clay which mucks up your tank. my use of the hairdryer is just a blatant copy from the aquajournal stuff ;)

Graeme Edwards said:
stuworrall said:
Dude, I love this. Very Creative aquascape union. Love the water.
I need to investes in some gear to get even close to that standard of picture. Or ill just give you a call ;)

Any update pics pal?

See ya next week mate.
Cheers graeme, whats aquascape union? not heard of that before. give us a shout re the pictures, think me and dave are going to do some studio flash stuff on his tank too in the future.

Got no update pics yet, getting a bit of fuzz algae low down in a bit of the moss so spot dosing that at the mo and bumped up the co2. Also its had a big trim so needs to gro back a bit but ill try and get some closeup shots of the shrimp. Really need a macro lnes :(

Back