• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sumped Cube

now its not going to be a hardscape that appeals to all, esp with the addition of the Bristol Bear. But its a family tank in a family room, so design by committee. with a very opinionated client in a 2 and 4 year old.

so that’s how I have rose quartz a a nice dense lump, that in my mind looks like the body and ramus of a cows jaw.

the tanks sumped and just off cubed, illuminated by a Radion G2

IMG-20200901-210701.jpg

so fish, coral inverts gone and its a shell of its former self

IMG-20200908-232538.jpg

dismantled and reassembled in a new location and soil added

IMG-20200910-212700.jpg

lights just starting to ramp up to 20%

IMG-20200910-212722.jpg

lights ramping, will chuck the heater in the sump, was there while I leak checked the plumbing

I quite like the bear. :)
It almost looks natural, like when you see a natural rock and think it looks like something, - in this case a bear. :)

Excuse the glass, I'm holding off cleaning until some clean up crew are in place. Not that I'm sure what to go for. But on the positive, there's growth to be seen in the leaves and also roots.

Lights on for 6 ish hours now, plus the sunlight in the room and still only at 20% through a bit of perspex.
IMG_20200914_171110.jpg IMG_20200914_171056.jpg

while out today popped into PaH and grabbed some Salvinia auriculata, so now there’s some surface cover

the Java fern seems to be budding and the sword has a flower spike shooting up.

Seems some where at least one snail has made it in, noticed one just pre lights out the other day and there’s a little bit of damage to a few leaves.

remembered I have a filter sock in the workshop, so now any riders of the pipes (almost at one of each species now) will be bagged ready for reintroduction to the tank and not need a bit of hands and knees net work.

also using a sock on the hose to syphon, as everyone likes to come up close to the pipe and managed to catch a Cory as it was about to exit the window and have had a clown goby before get stuck in the opening of a pipe,

Hi all,
Is bronzing normal in this plant
Looks like it might be a Ludwigia sp. and a lot of them <"have bronze shoot tips">.
The Cory's have had a little bit of stress from the guppies seeing them as a meal
Not ideal, you may also find that the Guppies get all the food before the Pygmy Cories do?

If you feed some really small food items, it gets around this. <"I like micro-worms"> for all the little Corydoras spp. (and Corydoras fry), the fish <"really like them"> and bigger fish can't be bothered with them.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, Looks like it might be a Ludwigia sp. and a lot of them <"have bronze shoot tips">.Not ideal, you may also find that the Guppies get all the food before the Pygmy Cories do?

If you feed some really small food items, it gets around this. <"I like micro-worms"> for all the little Corydoras spp. (and Corydoras fry), the fish <"really like them"> and bigger fish can't be bothered with them.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel

I'll try and sort out a culture then, seems to be harmonious in their now, every one swimming about, but always good to give some enrichment and not just one boring meal

Enough growth to have had to do a round of tip pinching.

Working out of I keep or rage war with the hitchhiker snails, seem to look to be growing into ramshorn and pond snail shell shapes. As yet only squished and fed to the tank the ones that were easy pray.
IMG_20201012_220359.jpg

I was asked previously why keep things like the mag on a viewing pane, tonight was a good example of it being handy to be able to see. It could get out, but had I moved the scraper, it might not have been a good ending

IMG_20201014_220020.jpg

Wanted to see if I still had 4 pygmies and felt like the odd snips now and then had controlled things I now needed to give it a more substantial cut.
IMG_20201124_162511.jpg
IMG_20201124_162502.jpg

So a load of stems cut and placed back into the sand and the shorter ones composed on the front garden.
IMG_20201124_180751.jpg IMG_20201124_180757.jpg
The filters not stuck on as I like a variable flow and tend to move it about each day and it also moves a bit on its own. Must fix the mp40s wetside bearing and have the nice tidy option back

IMG_20210115_203432.jpg

IMG_20210115_203441.jpg

So that's pre water change and trim

IMG_20210117_191442.jpg

IMG_20210117_191430.jpg

And the next lights on.

So last night after a water change, I'm almost asleep on the sofa, as walked in on the crown and clueless what's going on.
Loud bang and other half asks what's that, I have leap across the room and now directing the water from the sumps emergency overflow pipe into the sump, after the pipes comes away (maybe to many gym class on a slightly sprung floor)
They have dashed off to get a towels and I'm in hushed tones trying to get them to pull the plug and stop the flow, as I can't quite reach it. Apparently it never crossed their mind to kill the power, over welfare concerns. I point out there's a signify lightstrip and all the tank leads on the floor and maybe if happens again, ensuing the whole house's power is protected and especially the person with their arms trying to address the leak well and trying in harms way.

Still seem the crown was engaging enough to escape any stromg words and it also highlighted some stale air behind the curtain as a small patch of damp, where the things not moved in a while.

Back