• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID a bug please

Got a good few of these in my newly planted tank. Plenty of leaf melt and litter on the tank but I’m religiously cleaning and water changing every few days. Thanks!

And it’s Tropica soil powder for size comparison.

Best guess!? Planaria :) aka Flatworm

Hi, my guess is planaria as well based on the way they move.

There are many in the tank. My next question is, are they found in all planted tanks and should I be worried. I’ll need to do some serious reading up. From the brief research it’s all bad news

Not a big issue, though a little unsightly. Plenty of useful threads on here about control. If your maintenance is good, their numbers will be limited I suspect. From there it just depends how annoying you find them before you go in for a control.

Not a big issue, though a little unsightly. Plenty of useful threads on here about control. If your maintenance is good, their numbers will be limited I suspect.

My tank is becoming cleaner every day. Much less melting and more growth. I have 10 Neo reds and 3 Amano shrimp on the tank for about 10 days. I only feed using a fish and remove uneaten food. I will continue with maintenance and investigate forum threads. I would prefer to control numbers and not resort to chemical treatments. Will fish eat them? I am due to receive a Betta next week.

If they fit in as part of the natural cleaning crew I don’t mind them but I think they are natural parasites which does slightly concern me

There easy enough to get rid of with dog wormer.. I was always scared of a nitrite boost afterwards so did daily water changes with double prime doses.
Have a close look at the head if it's planaria there triangular shaped. https://photos.app.goo.gl/gRJ6WdPx8aYf7sPg9

Thanks for the picture. They are so small it’s difficult to see any distinguishing features. I’ll get a good look tomorrow.

but I think they are natural parasites
There are parasitic flatworms, but they live inside the bodies of their hosts, very unikely to be seen crawling around.
The population will decrease when you have got past the leaf melt and they have less food available, provided you don't overfeed your fish and shrimps.
You can remove lots of them by tying a piece of meat to a thread and leaving it in the tank overnight. Then pull it out covered in flatworms the next morning. Repeat as required and you can greatly reduce the population, but probably not wipe it out. But if you do that before using chemical methods you will minimise the number of dead ones that decompose in your tank when you do treat it.
hth

Listen, thanks to everyone above. I don’t believe they are planaria after inspecting them under a magnifying glass. Their number seems to have reduced naturally as there is less melting hence less waste available. I don’t mind them being their as long as they don’t do damage to current fauna, which looks to be one Betta after he destroyed my shrimp population

Back