• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID Moss/Liverwort/Thingy

I found a couple of strands of this plant on a lava rock which came with a Bucephalandra I bought. It’s grown quite well and I wondered what it is.

Attachments

• 9BDA9C27-511E-4F7E-8D46-5801F5CAB220.jpeg
    9BDA9C27-511E-4F7E-8D46-5801F5CAB220.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 249
The point at the tip of the 'leaf' reminds me of a moss/liverwort I got a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can find the ID I settled on.
Amblystegium serpens as I know it, tends to grow straight up and the 'leaves' alternate sides, so there are no 'leaves' directly opposite each other.
Worst case scenario, call it what you want, stick rare in front of the name and someone will buy it.

Plagiomnium Affine would be my guess. In the pictures of P.affine I've seen, it also has those hair like growths seen in your photo (assuming that isn't algae). The growth habit doesn't look quite right though.
This is just a guess and as Darrel says, what we're sold something as doesn't always mean that's what it is and so there's a lot of incorrect IDs for mosses/liverworts out there.

I've grown quite some moss over the years and if growing it aquatic I always experienced mosses and filamentous alga seem to love each other they are about always together at some point. At least I thought so because it looked like it. Then I found this.

Moss spores germinate to form an alga-like filamentous structure called the protonema.

I guess what do we really know? In a lot of cases, it might not be alga at all?

I wonder if another photo would help. The hair things were algae by the way. The conditions were moderate light, moderate CO2 and not enough fertiliser.
E241CBCD-EF64-470D-940A-C4D582DEE86D.jpeg

I’d suspected that it’s Bucemoss. I’ve checked out the place I bought the Bucephalandra from to see what Mosses they sell and the species that looked similar was Callicostella Pancuraji. Any thoughts?

I think it looks a lot like callicostella pancuraji too. It's very nice, you should grow lots of it and start supplying us with it! So hard to get nice rare mosses now :(

Back