• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID please! Help needed.

Roman B

Hello guys!
So one of my friend found this plant in local lake in Latvia. This plant really reminds me Pogostemon stellatus "fine leaf" and its emersed form looks more like Pogostemon erectus/deccanensis but stem is really thick.
The thing is I haven't found any Pogo that would have origin close to Latvia. Winter there really cold and lake gets covered with ice. Don't think any pogo can survive that low tempreture so I'm bit confused.
26162815114_f0b2eec711_o.jpg

26743005596_af75675a62_o.jpg

26162820384_d06e492194_o.jpg

Hi all,
Did you just make that name up Darrel
Sort of, I spelled the common name incorrectly, it should be "Hippuris". The ID was just luck really, it is a <"not very common British native">, but it grows in the pond at work so I've seen it in the spring when the underwater stems with the long leaves expand into the emergent flowering stems.

The common name is a bit confusing, it's "Mare's-tail", but it isn't related to the "Horsetails" (Equisetum spp.). There is a picture in this thread <"Change of tactics...">

Nothing else looks quite like it, and I know its distribution is "circumboreal".

cheers Darrel

Back