• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID Required please

jayne

I normally try not to buy anything I don't recognise but yesterday I spotted an unusual plant with lovely red undersides so I took a risk and bought it.

It was potted and showing some root growth but it was not labelled and no one in the shop knew what it was.It's about 3" tall at the moment so I've planted it at the front.

Any ideas?

tank170907008bm0.jpg

I hope you're right too,I was expecting to be told it was a house plant that would live a fortnight :lol:

Certainly looks like the Cryptocoryne undulata doesn't it?I'll keep my fingers crossed,thanks.

It's not a crypt as it is a stem plant, not a rosette forming one like a crypt.

I think you may have Hemigraphis which doesn't do too well submersed, but I may be wrong. It looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

BTW the stems look square, in which case it is in the family Lamiaceae, but I'm no nearer than that!

It looks remarkably similar to a plant I bought off Java labelled "Red Ivy" when I was even more of a n00b than I am now :oops:

It died off gradually, but after investigation I believed it ot be a narrow leaf version of Hemigraphis as stated so isn't a true aquatic. Looks pretty though!

I wish we had shops around here where we could just walk in and see plants like this. Damn nightmare. Im fed up with complaining to the management of my LFS that they dont support planted tanks enough, Im going to try to get pets at home into it more and maybe the other shop, which is close might sit up and take notice.

I don't understand why more (or any for that matter) LFS haven't worked out just how much the planted tank enthusiast probably spends on a planted tank :rolleyes: I have never had a marine tank myself so don't know just how much they cost (I hear it's an expensive business :lol: ) but the planted side is expensive too.

Will they ever sit up and realise that stocking the stuff that we want fills their pockest quicker? P@H at least stock Tropica plants, but then they go and let them die (I saw one of their tanks run dry with mostly dead Tropica plants all over it a couple of weeks ago :rolleyes: ) What's the point? My local FS isn't hugely better.

Back