• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID this little hitchhiker please

winzdk

I know it's very small and probably not identifiable as it is, but maybe some of you have experience with hitchhikers in pots ?
The pot is straight from the manufacturer and has not been in the shop's tank.
It has already spread to the rest of the tank (5 or 6 like the size in the picture, after 5 days) and seems to spread/grow quite fast.

anubias-hitchhikers.PNG

Hi all,
Welcome to the forum, I'd definitely let if grow and see what you get.

Looking at the pot you seem to have a number of hitchhikers, the moss looks like <"Drepanoclados aduncus">
Can't tell with a seedling that small. Probably some terrestrial weed.
I agree, I think the best you can do, at the moment, is <"dicotyledon">. Because the plants are <"produced emersed"> there are quite a range of terrestrial plants that you might get in the pot.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the replies and thanks for the welcome :)

The tank is indeed flooded already in the picture, I guess I have really clear water lol :)
I'll wait and see what they will be in a few days - crossing my fingers that they don't totally invade the tank. There is at least 10 new seedlings since yesterday, 1 cm high.
And yes the moss might well be the one you linked.
Will update if interested.

Definitely keep us updated.

Update:

All the ones that was attached in the soil has died, a couple attached to other plants survied and has grown a little, perhaps enough to identify (don't mind the algea on the Anubias):

2021-01-14 22.14.56.jpg
2021-01-14 22.15.16.jpg
2021-01-14 22.15.48.jpg

I don't know the ID of this plant but I have what looks to be the exact same thing growing as a weed in one of my gecko vivariums. When growing emersed it is almost impossible to fully eradicate as it seems able to regenerate from the tiniest pieces left in the tank and produces miniscule seeds that get spread everywhere by isopods, beetles etc.
I suspect it might be the same thing or something very similar as it also germinates submerged in my water feature.

Back