• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID This Moss, Please.

Dave Spencer

This is what I found growing out of my hairgrass. i think it`s Christmas moss, but I admittedly don`t know anything about mosses.

Moss014ps.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

i'd say it was a Taxiphyllum of some sort but you would need to view it under a microscope to be sure which one as the differences can be microscopic.

i have quite a few species of moss in my collection but i would need a sample to do a comparrison.

Nice photo BTW :)

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

Sam, that link you gave would suggest that it is Peacock moss. Cool!

Moss010ps.jpg

Dave.

You seem to know your mosses, Arana. is this type particularly rare or is it just another of the common ones? I`ll be interested to see how it grows.

it seems to be showing new growth already, so there should be some available to people before long.

Dave.

EDIT: Cheers for the compliment, Dan. Wish I was getting a few tips from Neil Hepworth, though.

peacock moss is not that rare. It's just lucky that you got some stuck in other plant delivered to you. Personally I think it's one of the most beautiful and versatile moss. Colour ranges from pale green to dark green and it has a fixed triangular form that just keeps getting bigger and bigger and it gives the whole tank a very soft kinda touch to it. Althought christmas moss are the same shape when it's grown attached to a moss wall, it always seemed to make the tank look rough. I used to have loads of peacock moss when I was bredding cheerry but ended up giving them all away from the price of a peanut when I moved out of my house :(

Back