• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID this moss

dean

Hi all on one off my local selling sites a man is selling this moss can anyone hazard a guess of what it is
df73189de1a7b7acd53507ad3af13c24.jpg

beeec49a671dc9bd2f1ce96b3f1df45d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the growth habit, it looks like Leptodictyum riparium . However, the leaves don't look quite right. It looks quite pale, so could be growing it too little light, which would cause the plant to elongate as it goes in search of light. I'm going to stick with Leptodictyum riparium (stringy moss) though as that's the best I can can come up with. I'm sure someone will be able to give a better ID.

Most common in the aquarium is likely the L. riparium, tho, this moss has 2 look a likes that also grow aquatic and can be found all over the place.

That is <Drepanocladus aduncus>
Drepanocladus_aduncus_detail.jpg

and <Amblystegium varium>
amblystegium-varium_6279_1715764.jpg

You would need a proper reference book to know what to look for and a microscope to clearly see the difference... With the naked eye, they are often easily mixed up... :)

But there are even more mosses that naturally do not grow near water but can if forced to and also will grow in a stringy form that looks eerily similar without a microscope. Propper moss ID is more often like make a guess and pick a name.

Last edited:
Back