• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID this shrimp please

mlgt

I had a rogue shrimp come in with some plants a few weeks back.

However over time its grown and Im not sure what type of shrimp it is. Its currently residing in my cherry shrimp tank.

Heres a pic of the rogue -
Picture007.jpg

Hope you can help ID it, as its showing eggs. I am confused what type it is, as it is the same size as cherrys, but I thought all females would be red in colour and males white.

Heres another pic. Its hard when the shrimp moves around :(

Picture015.jpg

Thats cool. Somehow its breeded with the Cherrys then?

Or is it that shrimps can have eggs anyways but need to be fertilised by the male in order to be successful. In which case if it is a wild cherry then it will be fertised, if not then the eggs get released?

Or will shrimps fertilise regardless of its species as long as they are the same size etc? forgive my lack of knowledge :)

I don't think it is, the rosterum donesn't look right and the poise is different to amanos which appear kinked midway.

I wouldn't say freak, cherries are naturally brown/clear, the reds have been selectively bred into them.

Indeed.

So Im not sure to get some more males of whatever species of this shrimp is.
Many say its Amano... but I always assumed Amanos need to be a certain size, so possibly its a freak cherry shrimp lol.

Either way I want it fertilised lol !! hahaha

From what I can see in the pics it looks similar to Minami, what some believe is the 'wild type' of what we call cherry shrimp. Yours does have a bit of red to it. I think it's a cherry shrimp in other words.

Thats a good sign then.
Which means the other males can fertilise and then my batch will get some new blood :)

Another silly question. Probably I know the answer of anyways.

Im going to introduce some CRS into the current set up. Will Cherrys breed with CRS? or just their own type?

Well since last posting the shrimps have been releasing the fry and now I have a mix od cherrys and wild ones :)

Back