ID this?

foxfish

Oh and it lives alongside the oldest heated glasshouse in the U.K. the tallest canary palm and it has even listened to the Beatles who played live in the garden!

foxfish

Good guess and close but ....if I were to be cryptic I would say completely wrong!

foxfish

Ok I am off to bed so the answer was “False Cypress”, in this case Chamaecyparis lawsoniana I think? I bought it as False Cypress blue ice, or something like that.

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
Chamaecyparis lawsoniana
Looks about right, because of the flat leaf sprays. You can't tell from exrternal appearance of the cones whether they are Cupressus or Chamaecyparis, you have to look at the attachment of the seed to the cone scale. As a rule of thumb Chamaecyparis cones are smaller.

As @Finn suggests they have had a bit of a name change, and some Chamaecyparis sp. are now Cupressus again and all the W. American Cupressus spp. are more correctly Hesperocyparis.

cheers Darrel

zozo

“False Cypress”
:lol: When you said cryptically I actually thought in that line in my own language. Gambled and searched for False Conifer and if it existed in English. But didn't find any clues and gave up.. Common names and a language barrier make about impossible puzzles.