• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID this?

foxfish

061DB14C-CC2F-408C-9DCA-BCC3F9C6019F.jpeg

Can anyone guess what this before Darrel?

That was my first guess too Ginko tree..:)

image.jpg

And its absolutely a special tree, alledgedly the evolutionary step between Deciduous trees and Pines (Conifer family). :)

Hi all,
Chamaecyparis lawsoniana
Looks about right, because of the flat leaf sprays. You can't tell from exrternal appearance of the cones whether they are Cupressus or Chamaecyparis, you have to look at the attachment of the seed to the cone scale. As a rule of thumb Chamaecyparis cones are smaller.

As @Finn suggests they have had a bit of a name change, and some Chamaecyparis sp. are now Cupressus again and all the W. American Cupressus spp. are more correctly Hesperocyparis.

cheers Darrel

“False Cypress”

:lol: When you said cryptically I actually thought in that line in my own language. Gambled and searched for False Conifer and if it existed in English. But didn't find any clues and gave up.. Common names and a language barrier make about impossible puzzles.

Back