• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Idea for Fluval Ebi stand

LancsRick

Well having completed a full rebuild of my bathroom, I'm going to tidy up my bedroom as a lighter project. Part of this is going to be sorting out a proper stand for the 30l Fluval Ebi that currently sits on an old chest of drawers with my Sakura shrimp and Galaxy Rasboras in.

From my other tanks, I've found that I really like the contrast of having a black background, so I'll keep that. I also really like the minimalism of the ADA style cabinets (especially the concealed latches), so that will feature. The other item I've enjoyed is having the lighting out of eyesight, so that your view of the tank isn't "hurt" by light spilling out from an over-tank fixture. For that reason, the Fluval Spec style is something that I've liked the look of.

Picture - Apologies, I'm no guru in sketchup.

Construction would be 4 vertical 2x2" for the load bearing, with top/bottom/mid-height cross-section for strength. 3 sides will be clad in 6 or 9mm WBP ply, with 12 or 18mm ply for a nice solid door, and a small piece of 25mm ply for the base and the top. I'll seal it all, then paint with white bathroom paint.

The hood for the tank will be lightweight ply construction just to hide the light fixture, with a couple of vent holes.

Thoughts?

Thanks Mark, interesting to see the result of your old thread, looks really good. I'll wait and see what feedback I get in here. More than happy to share my final design when I've built something.

Don't use plywood. it has a horrible surface finnish. On the other hand, I probably wouldnt put mdf above the tank either. Composite woods are going to absorb the condensation from the tank and start expanding unless you have the special treated stuff.

Back