• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ideal fish for a 6 gallon?

Cherries

Hi all,

I will be taking down my 27 gallon tank, but will be leaving only my 6 gallon Aquastart 320 Walstad tank.

I would want to get some fish tomorrow but I have no foggiest idea what fish I could stock it with? I was looking at schooling fish, if not, then maybe a few male guppies.

Also, I have no idea whether fluke solve is working as I have put in a large dose when my last platy was close to dying, well she passed away, but two remaining white clouds seem to be in a better mood so I dunno..

I will clean out the box tomorrow and try to add a stronger dose.

Many Thanks,
Cherries

For schooling fish in your size setup you could think about rummy nosed tetras (Rummy-nosed tetra - Fireplace aquarium) or five banded barbs (Five-banded barb - Fireplace aquarium). The tetras are pretty bomb-proof and they have a lot of personality. Six of them are a good starting amount. Mind you I have them in a high-tech setup and I don't know how they might do in a Walstad. They are also tropical and I have them at 25C - if your setup is not heated you might try cloud mountain minnows. Lots of good options really in small schooling fish.

So about 30l? I'm guessing Andy read that wrong (or I have). Thats too small for rummy noses.

Is the problem tank different? I wouldn't add more fish until you've resolved it and left things a few weeks.

30l is pretty small for a shoal - you could do a betta, or other single, or a few male endlers would be ok.

I guess I'd stay by guppies.

I had bettas, killed all five of them, but was not my fault. So I dunno if I want to do a betta, I have shrimps in there too.

Fish seem to be in better condition since I have added fluke solve.

A 28 litre tank isn’t really big enough for any fish - you might want to consider some shrimp.

Least killifish will be fine. They are quiet and placid fish, who just need good cover. I have them in a 25l and they are happy, and breed steadily.

I would also only put shrimp in a tank this size, but that doesn't mean it can't be really nice - my shrimp tank (23L) is really fun because nothing eats the shrimp so they're out all the time gambling about and nibbling on everything.

What happened to your 5 bettas?

Shrimp are probably your best bet.
Perhaps you might be able to keep some Endler Livebearers, but keep up with water changes, test and do not overfeed.
I'm not 100% sure, but from my research you may keep one dwarf pea puffer

I had least killifish in that size and they were happy. But they breed a lot. And they will eat any shrimp.

Back