• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ideas for a split tank

gratts

I need ideas for a 3ft tank with a twist, as I'm struggling a tad :lol:

Approximately 36"x21"x15", built into a wall.
It's in a wall sitting between lounge and living room, and so has a metal 'sheet' running halfway across the tank to stop you seeing from room to room, a bit like this:
tankb.jpg

:oops:
There is a frame around the outsides of the tank, so that barrier will block all the viewable space either side, so straight on, you can't see through at all.
So the tank is effectively split into 2. The fish will be able to swim round the barrier but it will really have to look like a complete tank which ever side you look at it.

Quite a difficult space to work with, and the lights will have to be right at the back.

Low light, no co2, no ferts.

I was thinking for the front, which will be lower in light than the back, to have just crypts. Maybe .balansae to try and block the barrier, assorted crypts in the centre and parva sloping down to the front.

So ideas very welcome! I don't know whether to try incorporating any wood/rock in, or if it's better just to stick with plants? :rolleyes:

Cheers.

It's a good idea Aaaron, unfortunately it's not my tank or house, so I may have to stick with the sheet!
The problem is, if there are any gaps through the rock&wood combo, then from the lounge you'd be able to see someone sitting on the toilet through the tank :lol:
I'll put it forward and see what they reckon!

gratts said:
It's a good idea Aaaron, unfortunately it's not my tank or house, so I may have to stick with the sheet!
The problem is, if there are any gaps through the rock&wood combo, then from the lounge you'd be able to see someone sitting on the toilet through the tank :lol:
I'll put it forward and see what they reckon!

oh right lol.

i think a few smaller rocks to break up the plants would be nice, or a graded substrate. I think it needs something if you are going to use crypts, i am not sure a dutch scape would look right with rossette plants.

Why on earth would you stick it in the toilet room?! Metal will rust, glass won't but you'll have the inherant problems of flow deflection etc. Ideally they'd move the tank somewhere sensible otherwise it's going to be a case of having two entirely separate tanks back to back I'd imagine other wise it'd just be oh so very difficult.

It is a bit strange - the access is from the bathroom rather than the living room also.
Like I said, it's built into a wall, so zero chance of moving it.
Anyway, IDEAS! :D

Yeah, 7" either side.
The back can't be painted/mirrored or anything, as what is the back of the tank in the living room becomes the front of the tank in the bathroom, if that makes sense!
I would love to try something like Luis tank blow with an island in the middle instead of the sheet of metal, else it's not a very workable space.
DSC05741c.jpg

We will see!

You could perhaps keep the metal sheet but disguise it by siliconing bits of decor such as cork bark, slate etc which would make it look more natural. That way you wouldn't have to achieve plant growth so dense that it forms a barrier.

Very interesting tank idea, I am just going to be completly ignorant here an suggest something, is it possible to have the tank constructed out of one way glass on the bathroom side so you can see in the tank but the livingroom will see a mirror? I dont even know if this is possible, sounds good in theory tho.

Just had another idea use one way film this company provide it http://www.windowfilm.co.uk/?gclid=CP7d ... 3godf0X-eQ. I think it would work well

Vito

Vito said:
Very interesting tank idea, I am just going to be completly ignorant here an suggest something, is it possible to have the tank constructed out of one way glass on the bathroom side so you can see in the tank but the livingroom will see a mirror? I dont even know if this is possible, sounds good in theory tho.

Just had another idea use one way film this company provide it http://www.windowfilm.co.uk/?gclid=CP7d ... 3godf0X-eQ. I think it would work well

Vito

nice idea :D

Cheers, good idea that!
Should work as long as the adhesive doesn't turn out to be horribly toxic!

The other option would be to have a moss wall of similar with wood and bark to provide decorative elements and maybe a java fern or two as well.

Ok, back to square 1!
Reflective film was suggested, and promptly rejected! He wants to stick with the barrier running down the middle.
So any ideas for either side would really be appreciated, as I'm struggling to work out what to do!
I have literally 7" either side, one side will be higher light than the other, but no CO2 etc.

I reckon have a mesh sheet running down the middle and stick planets into it.

Moss, Java fern etc, wont be see through. Will let water pass but not eyes....

Think someone else may have suggested this but I agree!

But all in all its a pretty daft idea all round....

Chris

Back