• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Identifying 'hairy' algae

Henrik

My HC used to be full of algae, but after introduction of SAE and using EasyCarbo, plus an increase of CO2 levels and water circulation, it went all clean. Not sure which was the main reason for success! Lately, however, I am discovering hairy algae on the HC that the SEA do not seem to touch, it could be Spirogyra or Cladophora (any other ideas?). There is also some algae at the glass above the HC. I had stopped dosing EasyCarbo (as I was hoping my CO2 injection is sufficient), should I resume this? Any other advice in terms of identification and eridication?
Thanks, Henrik

I pulled out a lot today and it certainly feels gritty and not slimy, and looking at your picture on the website it very much looks like Cladopohora. Do SAE not eat it - they seem to go to difficult places to find food instead of eating chunks of these which are right in front of their noses.
I will increase my nutrient dosing and have already increased CO2 by a little. I also reduce my nighttime 'moonlight' dimmed lighting to a very short period. Any other suggestions?

Henrik said:
I pulled out a lot today and it certainly feels gritty and not slimy, and looking at your picture on the website it very much looks like Cladopohora. Do SAE not eat it - they seem to go to difficult places to find food instead of eating chunks of these which are right in front of their noses.
I will increase my nutrient dosing and have already increased CO2 by a little. I also reduce my nighttime 'moonlight' dimmed lighting to a very short period. Any other suggestions?

I have also same problem with my HC !! so what is your suggestions? maybe phosphate lelvel is high?

Back