• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Identity Help

cbaum86

Can anyone tell me what the little plants growing in the middle of the moss with the flowering stem are please. They've just grown from some moss I acquired from the side of a canal. Will they get big or stay relatively small?
d5743d7e6c2f4fd37d24e64a96d6bf7b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me what the little plants growing in the middle of the moss with the flowering stem are please. They've just grown from some moss I acquired from the side of a canal. Will they get big or stay relatively small?
d5743d7e6c2f4fd37d24e64a96d6bf7b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It is “Whitlow grass” (Erophila verna agg.). Not real grass, but a Crucifer.

It has four white petals, but they are deeply split into two. You also have a Cerastium, C. glomeratum ( Clustered Mouse-ear), the pale green hairy leaf.

Cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Will they get big or stay relatively small?
They are annuals, so will die after flowering.

That is as big as the Whitlow grass will get. The <"Mouse-ear"> will branch up to about 10cm, and also has a little white flower with bifid petals, but this time with five petals.
You never fail to amaze
My wife often says that, although in her case I don't think it is intended as a compliment.

I'm good with the <"ID for the UK flora">, and they are actually both <"quite distinctive plants">, and growing in the right place.

cheers Darrel

Back