• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

If i have a sump can i inject co2 into the sump?

Hi john6. I don't have an answer, but I wonder if you would lose a lot of your CO2 due to the nature of a sump. In the only sump I have ever made there was a lot of aeration (by design) which I imagine would accelerate the loss of CO2.

Hi john6. I don't have an answer, but I wonder if you would lose a lot of your CO2 due to the nature of a sump. In the only sump I have ever made there was a lot of aeration (by design) which I imagine would accelerate the loss of CO2.
That was my first thought hence why i asked this question, but what @DeepMetropolis said makes sense, diffuse it in front of the return pump so it all gets sucked in and distributed around the dt, that's how i view it anyway.

I have a sump as well and agree it’s more versatile to inject CO2. In terms of off gassing, I think the best way to ensure your plants are getting the best bang for their buck is making sure your aiming for the best dissolution possible, and that the flow is circulating properly. What I mean by that is, make sure your overflow is not just sucking in what your return is pushing out. The major disadvantage to the sump setup is that once the CO2 laden water leaves the display, thats it, it’s not recirculated unless you seal off the sump. A canister filter will recycle what is sucked into the inlet, that the only advantage I see over a sump. If you plant to seal it, I would take that into account before you finish your build because it will be a pain to configure post setup.

That was my first thought hence why i asked this question, but what @DeepMetropolis said makes sense, diffuse it in front of the return pump so it all gets sucked in and distributed around the dt, that's how i view it anyway.
I’d say it’s probably more effective as it’s dissolves better. Will mitigate the micro bubbles too and distributed around the tank quicker.

Back