• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

If you had a 90x35x45 what would you do...

Get the details of the planting in and around the rocks right, and it should be a beauty Steve.

Dave.

Planting is gonna be -

Rotala sp. Green (by the tonne!)
Rotala "Nanjenshen"
Blyxa Japonica
P. Helferi
E. Acicularis

Also, a couple of focus plants, if TGM get them in stock :)

Now that is looking much better Steve, love the second layout specially when you see it from above.
Now really gives the impression the tank is deeper, looking great mate :)

I think I've cracked it now. I'm pretty happy with how it looks. Added a second bag of AS, it must be about 6" deep in the back right corner! I might mine some out some day and pad it with some sand, cheap skate that I am :p

Anyhow, I've tweaked the left rock in a smidge, and raised it, along with the back "peak" rock, infact I've rasied them all a tiny amount. I've also added a small accent rock left of the main left rock, which I think works but I'll probably bow to opinion when I'm able to post a picture. I didn't realise but I've left my memory card reader at work, so no pics till monday, unless I use my iPhone camera, which is crappy at best!

You'll just have to take my word for it, it looks a little better now :p

(I just hope I haven't over tweaked it!)

Snapped a crappy shot on the phone:

layout_final2.jpg

Hi Steve,i like it mate,i like it a lot,if the planting goes well this is gonna be a stunner,regards john.

layout_final2.jpg

That's really, really nice. One of the nicest rock layouts I've seen on UKAPS.

Nice camera phone too...

Have you considered going minimal planting with low ground cover? I think it may suit the rock composition better than stems etc.

I'm excited about seeing this develop. Well done, Steve!

George Farmer said:
Have you considered going minimal planting with low ground cover? I think it may suit the rock composition better than stems etc.

I am totally with George on this. I did shudder a tad when I saw your plant choice. Even the E. acicularis would overpower your rockwork.

Dave.

Hmn, I must admit, I do agree with you on the plants. I'm in a bit of a sticky situation though. I might need to grovel to TGM and change my plant order :oops:

So how does this sound?

HC carpet
Downoi around the rocks
Some selective hair grass placement mid-back ground

I'd really like to work some blyxa into this somewhere... maybe back ground/behind rocks.

Any other suggestions?

Hi Steve,i think some bylxa would look good in the far left corner :idea: ,
regards john.

look into my eys, not around my eyes...when i count to 3 you'll wake up with the thought, "i'm to send these rocks to saintly" :wideyed:

fantastic layout Steve.

it's a shame you cant see aqua journal dec 2008, dedicated to iwagumi. on page28 there's a layout reminiscent to yours. in that layout he's used the following.....

lilaeopsis in the foreground with HC mixed in
blyxa behind the rocks
and vivipara in the back.

like Dave says though even acicularis could over power the stone, unless you really mound it high. then the grass would soften the overall look.

in similar layouts to this amano sometimes just use's HC.

and the end of the day, it's your call dude

Thanks for all the input guys :) It's weird to think I wasn't aiming for a 'gumi scape originally.

I think I'm starting to get an grip on a planting scheme. I've changed my TGM plant order to include 4 pots of HC. Not sure it's going to be enough, but I have a little more floating in my storage tank at the moment. Obviously the HC will be all up front and around to the left. Next, around the rocks will be Downoi, and I'm also playing with the idea of Staurgyne around the rocks too. Then, at the back right, behind the rocks, I'm thinking Bylxa. Then behind the rock at the back and moving to the left maybe the E. acicularis.

I don't think I could cope with vivipara ;)

Hey guys.

Remembered to upload a better hi-res photo :) The rock on the right has been moved a tiny amount to the right and opened the gap between it and the middle rock by maybe 1cm at most. Just means I can plant into that bit a little easier...

final_hires.jpg

I've started an official journal now :)

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5182

Back