• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ill Rams, will be looking for a replacements soon, but what?

PM

Hi all,

Haven't posted in a long time here, hope you're all well, I have just graduated :)

I bought 2 Rams about 2/3 months ago (the first died within a week and I got a free replacement).

BUT, both fish are extremely ill and on there way out, which is quite sad as they really were great.

I bought them as my rummies and black neons hid a lot, and the plan was that these would make them swim around more - it worked. I have read thought about 99% of Rams are treated with hormones to make them brighter, but consequently they die after a few months.

SO, I am looking for suggestions on fish to act as a scare monger (kinda) for the others. I'd like rams but unless I can find a good source I'd rather choose another fish. Tried Killi fish before, and as beautiful as they are they are jumpers, and my tank is open top and heavily planted (54 liters).

What do you reckon? A pair of something would be nice :)

Might post a pic of the tank later...

I can't really comment on that. I've kept Rams before and they've lived healthily for years. I haven't kept Apistos, but there's obviously been loads of people who have kept both species successfully.

There's certainly a lot more types of Apistos to choose from.

A healthy fish is a healthy fish at the end of the say.

shouldnt you address why the rams are suffering, before you buy more fish? (especially apisto's which are very similar)

What about Bolivian Rams. I have 6 in my 90 gallon planted tank and they are superb....colourful, always out, interesting and as hard as nails.

You get good and awful batches of Rams. Personally if you can, I'd go for wild ones. Not as flashy as the captive bred ones in the shop but once they settle down they are amazing.

Or go with Kribs which are the perfect small cichlid IMO.

PM said:
Thanks, but where do I get wild ones from? (Short of going fishing) ;)

There available at some better LFSs. I reckon Wholesale Tropicals would be worth a check in London - they have a huge range of more unusual fish.

are the co2 levels fine?

i use a ph meter to monitor the "rough" co2 levels on my tank, i know the tank well enough by now for it to work quite well for me.
however.........
my probe had gone out of calibration and i was adding much more co2 than i should have been.
all the fish "seemed" fine, no gasping etc, but they were hiding lots. new fish i added struggled lots, which was when i realized something was wrong.
as soon sorted the co2 levels the fish were much happier and hiding much less.

i'm sure its totally unrelated, but just a thought!

What about Bolivian Rams. I have 6 in my 90 gallon planted tank and they are superb....colourful, always out, interesting and as hard as nails.

PM said:
I think they may be a bit large for my tank, it's only 54L (60x30x32cm)

Mine are actually smaller than "normal" Rams....they're no bigger than 2" and i've had them a year !!!

I have to say I'm with PM here. I've never had good quality rams before. They all simply fade away and die within 2 months, no matter how clean the water is. I'd never buy rams again.

Kribs and Apistos however... I have a pair of each in my 180l and they are brilliant to watch, and oh so healthy. Very colourful too, once they settle in. Even in the best of shops, their colours never show.

I'd say that Kribs would probably grow too big for a 54l unless it was lightly stocked, but Apistos should be better suited. Always depends on the breed though.

Dave

german blue rams must be one of the worst treated fish in the hobby...these fish demand temperatures of 28-32 degrees yet nobody gives it to them...why?- because all the internet sources are out dated and wrong...i bet you anything that the low temperature is why theyre not lasting very long.
although some people can get them going at lower temperatures, there are other things that should be met too- GH lower than 10, PH lower than 7.6.
if you can get wild caught ones these demands arent as necessary, but if you get a pair that have come from a fish farm in the czech republic that are fed hormones and antibiotics...then these needs have to be met or they wont last two seconds.

Back