• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

im meltinggggggggggggg

rummy nose

hi guys,

having a problem at the moment with my crypts going into melt down, i had them in an 84lt tank until a week ago then had to do a strip down thanks to my daughter adding god knows what to the tank but ive found the camera mounting plate for my tripod, crayons & loads of other stuff in the tank, anyway, i moved the crypts to the 54lt tank & did a strip down & clean, new substrate the works.

thing is the crypts have now started to melt after being replanted, i know why they do this but im fairly new to the tank scene on (7 months) ive never experienced this melt before ive already lost 1/3rd of my beloved crypts & have about 10 bunches of roots that have no leaves left at all still sitting in the 54lt dont know if they would recover if i plant just the roots.

i keep getting conflicting advice on how to manage the melt,
ive been told to remove the leaf & leave the stem,
or remove the stem & the leaf,
or just use the hose from the gravel vac to suck out the melted bits & leave the rest.

im confused & need good advice so ive turned to you the experts, please help.

The best way to tackle crypt melt is to remove the leaf at the substrate as soon as there's any sign of melt. That way the plant can concentrate on new growth rather than keeping the melting leaf alive.

I would reduce the photoperiod (time the lights are on) to like 6 hours to allow the plants to adjust and then slowly step it up by an hour a week.

In addition, increase co2 as much as possible, as some have good results that way - but don't gas the fish!

Keep on top of it, I had most of my leafs disappear once and they grew back, once they settle they grow quickly.

cheers,
there no fish in the tank at the mo, there still in the 54lt waiting to be moved back, i will reduce the photo period as you say & my co2 dose after i remove the damaged leaves,

thanks.

Good idea.

To give you some confidence on plant growth even if you're crypts don't have many leaves left...

Planting (which had serious melt after) [2008:11:09]
20081109003.jpg

5 Months After: [2009:04:06]
20090406002-1.jpg

Hi rummy nose
I had Crypt melt once due to moving one. I ended up cutting off all the stems to 'see what would happen'. This was before I knew what I was doing :lol: .
The plant has now grown back and is doing nicely.

Hey Superman
I'm loving that tank :thumbup:

CHris

thanks chris,
hey superman thats a great looking tank, some difference between pics 1 & 2

Back