• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Impeller Lubrication?

NeilW

Hi Everyone :wave:

Disappointingly I've started to get a rattling impeller in my new Eheim Liberty HOB :thumbdown:

I was thinking could vaseline work as a lubricant on the impeller shaft (oo er :oops: ) Does anyone know if its fish safe - I know others use it for O rings?

Any other suggestions/solutions?

Cheers

I'm sure Vaseline is fish safe as I've heard of poeple using it to lubricate rubber seals on push fit piping in koi ponds.

However you impellor shouldn't need it as it should float free of the shaft for most of the operation. I'd contact Ehiem and tell them what's happening - you may need a new impellor as it isn't fitting properly.

Sounds like a bent impeller shaft to me, take it out and roll it along a table to see if it's straight.

Cheers for the fast reply guys :thumbup:

Ed Seeley said:
I'm sure Vaseline is fish safe as I've heard of poeple using it to lubricate rubber seals on push fit piping in koi ponds.

However you impellor shouldn't need it as it should float free of the shaft for most of the operation. I'd contact Ehiem and tell them what's happening - you may need a new impellor as it isn't fitting properly.

Cheers Ed, I will leave using vaseline alone for now then. I just dropped Eheim an email to see what they think

Dan Crawford said:
Sounds like a bent impeller shaft to me, take it out and roll it along a table to see if it's straight.

Thanks Dan. Sadly with the Liberty you can't remove the impeller shaft to see if its straight or not, but I reckon you could be right.

Hopefully Eheim will shed some more light. I also contacted the vendor to see if it would be easier to just get a replacement unit

Cheers again

The vendor just sent me an email saying that they will send out a replacement straight away and that they don't even want the dodgy one back! Sorted, hopefully! :thumbup:

Now that is service :) I wish Eheim would follow in the same footsteps :)

Cheers,

Back