• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Improving Cherry shrimp stock.

I have a nano tank full of proper reds and they're lovely, but there's also something really nice about the wild type and the weird and interesting variations they throw up, I keep culls in my big tank.

At first I kept black cherries in my big tank - I had a few ones come out black from my red cherries - and I thought it looked cool so bought some more. But then Mr Apisto got added in (this was early with not enough cover) and I watched him eat a few of them and it worried me so I fished the rest out, they had a few babies, and now they live with @Courtneybst in his beautiful contest scape where they can multiply happily. I added some cull shrimp to the tank to keep Mr Apisto amused (they had been living in my pond outside), but they've almost all survived and bred well. I think look more natural than the red ones and that compliments the tank, though some still grow up and become bright red to spite me anyway. 😂 Now the tank is grown in there's a lot of opportunity for shrimps to thrive without being eaten, I catch a lot of babies in the filter when I clean it.

I definitely recommend a little outdoor waterlily pot pond kinda thing, then you can put your cull shrimps in that without guilt, mine survive the winter and bred over the summer. Also good for some rice fish, who don't seem to eat the shrimps either.

At one point - one which I've certainly posted about here, I had well over 1000 red neocaridina, it's hard not to see them as food/income then. That said, I've recently decided to give shrimp away when I get a chance, as I'm resetting the tanks/plans.
Im hoping to get to a point where by i can supply some LFS for some store credit or whatever. My first aim is to just gain some knowledge with them. I have a load of babies in my starter tank, and ive given up trying to count them all the time. I know ill soon have more than i can handle.

I definitely recommend a little outdoor waterlily pot pond kinda thing, then you can put your cull shrimps in that without guilt, mine survive the winter and bred over the summer. Also good for some rice fish, who don't seem to eat the shrimps either.
I have a heater for one of my tanks, and just bought another for my new one. I was thinking about not using one seeing they can thrive in lower temperatures. I do not know the down side to that although ive heard lower temps can be better at avoiding certain fungi attacks.

I have a heater for one of my tanks, and just bought another for my new one. I was thinking about not using one seeing they can thrive in lower temperatures. I do not know the down side to that although ive heard lower temps can be better at avoiding certain fungi attacks.
I keep my red cherries and crystal shrimps in an unheated tank atm, and they are doing fine. I also have some ricefish in there ready to go outside in late Spring (bought them this winter and felt like they shouldn't go outside immediately) The shrimps don't breed as much during winter without a heater but I don't mind that tbh, I had a lot of crystal deaths due to a dodgy heater before so happy to wait for summer for the natural temp to increase, you don't see any ugly heater in the back, and it saves on the electricity bills slightly!

I keep my red cherries and crystal shrimps in an unheated tank atm, and they are doing fine. I also have some ricefish in there ready to go outside in late Spring (bought them this winter and felt like they shouldn't go outside immediately) The shrimps don't breed as much during winter without a heater but I don't mind that tbh, I had a lot of crystal deaths due to a dodgy heater before so happy to wait for summer for the natural temp to increase, you don't see any ugly heater in the back, and it saves on the electricity bills slightly!
So i think they need the warmer temps for faster growth, and breeding rates. Im not looking into becoming a pro breeder, so time is not a problem. I was just reading they have a higher chance of catching disease at lower temps so some of the advice out there is a bit conflicting. At lower temps the shrimp are believed to live longer, but as per usual cannot find any research other than the odd anecdotal here, and there.

Just read that 'At higher temperatures growth and breeding might be faster, but their life spans are considerably shorter due to the increase in their metabolic rate cause by those temperatures.' That makes sense.

Last edited:
Im hoping to get to a point where by i can supply some LFS for some store credit or whatever. My first aim is to just gain some knowledge with them. I have a load of babies in my starter tank, and ive given up trying to count them all the time. I know ill soon have more than i can handle.

Make sure you get the colour good, LFS my way will only take the very best from breeders.

I have done this before, and even with a paddling pool I could never keep up the supply 😩 I’ll find where I’ve given this advice before and share it here 👍

Make sure you get the colour good, LFS my way will only take the very best from breeders.

I have done this before, and even with a paddling pool I could never keep up the supply 😩 I’ll find where I’ve given this advice before and share it here 👍
When i was in my local maidenhead aquatics asking for shrimp they said if i find any breeders in the area to let them know as they are always on the look out for some. They did have a small mixed selection of various quality.

Back