• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

In Tank vs Inline

Gavin3171

Really just looking for opinions to why one maybe better than the other? Currently i have an in tank diffuser, but all i keep reading is that inline is better due to the finer bubbles?
Is there any better reasons why i should or shouldnt make a swap over to the co2 inline diffuser?
Thanks

foxfish

How long is a pice of string or maybe how big is your tank would be a good start?
Both have the same sort of ceramic stone so bubble size will be the same.
In line is popular in combination with a spray bar especially on larger tanks and in tank seem to be popular with smaller tanks but there is cross over too.
Both have pros and cons!
In therory perhaps the in line makes more sense as it will offer better distribution but requires a bit more pluming and more attention to mantainace .
No real answer without more details on your tank.

Last edited:

Zeus.

Fertz Calc Meister
With an inline diffuser the bubbles are always in the flow of the water plus no hardware in the tank, inline has another joint which could leak
In tank work well but can dislodge or if the outlet is put in wrong position slightly can affect how well it works.
I have use both and prefer inline, but prefer CO2 reactor better as bubble free except for pearling

Gavin3171

Tank is 60L currently.

i like the idea of no visible hardware, but if inline had more cons than pros it doesn’t make sense to move over

kirk

Hi, im curently pondering ( no pun intended) what to do myself . Also i tried many different methods over the years and on return to the hobby find myself back asking myself the same questions.

Ive had roughly a six year break from planted aquariums and now is quite few visually different diffusers/ atomizers on the market but do the same thing , put co2 into our tank. Atm im using the aquario intank diffuser and its pretty good and would like to source the newer aquario large extended version for the asthetics but being in newzealnd i cant get one posted from europeto here.
So was thinking do i go i line?
Do i make up diy a canister that i can drop my current diffuser into making a homemade inline?
I know i dont like attomizers from past experience.
So in short ive left in tank gone in line then gone atomizer then inline and reverted back to in tank.
So if your getting nice fine bubbles your flow is good drop checker at lights on is correct id persevere with what you have or like myself and many others you'll have a cupboard full of co2 related items you dont use or end uo littering the foresale section. Haha.
Best of luck with what ever you choose to do keep us posted.

Driftless

I use a mix of both inline and in-tank. The one problem that I have had with inline diffusers is that it is had to tell when the ceramic insert becomes dirty or clogged and needs to be cleaned or replaced. I have had two episodes where a tank suddenly has too much CO2 my thoughts were that CO2 was being adjusted as the ceramic diffuser was gradually clogging and then the pressure blew out some of the gunk that was building up in the diffuser thus releasing too much CO2. It was the same tank, widely separated in time, and the regulator was swapped after the first event.

Tom Delattre

I'm with @Driftless here. I've been a big fan of inline for years because that was one less peace of artificial stuff in my tank and the CO2 x flow equation was easier to balance. But I'm going back to in tank diffusers because I realized inline diffusers are too much a hassle to clean (and to know if you have to clean them). You never know if you have to clean it because you don't see the ceramic and you don't really see the bubbles. To clean it you basically have to unplug your water tubings which let's be honest is never a pleasing thing to do (leaks, stress of leaks, etc.). You have to soak the ceramic out of the system for some time which means no filter running, or a spare ceramic (but that causes diffusion changes).
You loose filter flow, which is bad for CO2 diffusion especially if your filter's flow isn't overkill. Plus you can't clean your tubing when it's plugged (meaning the cleaning brush shouldn't touch the ceramic or it will be damaged). So all in all I find that my CO2 is less stable with inline diffusers because the ceramic is never really clean, and I clean my filter less often so the flow is less than ideal too.
With an in tank diffuser, I just take it out of the water, plunge it into bleach or citric acid, rinse it, and voilà. It's so easy to do that I do it during each water change, meaning I don't even have to bother if the ceramic is clean or not : it always is.
Granted, I cringe a little bit each time is see all that tubing in my tank. Choices, choices.

Envoyé de mon KB2003 en utilisant Tapatalk

kirk

Well i decided to make a giant one i can use my diffuser in tank and out. Had most the stuff lying around so all i had to buy was the brass fitting for the co2 line.

Attachments

• 20210914_191527.jpg
    20210914_191527.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70

Gavin3171

I think my minds made up when its worded like that.
Seems like a load of stress and potential breakdown for very little gain

thanks again guys!!

Gavin3171

Well i decided to make a giant one i can use my diffuser in tank and out. Had most the stuff lying around so all i had to buy was the brass fitting for the co2 line.

this is interesting 🙏🏻. Would like to see more

kirk

Hi heres afee pics, its working pretty well , happy so far

Attachments

• 20210915_200709.jpg
    20210915_200709.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 20210915_193544.jpg
    20210915_193544.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
  • 20210915_194245.jpg
    20210915_194245.jpg