• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

In the Edge

kadoxu

Hello again!

I wasn't too sure where to post this Journal, as this will be a Low Tech adventure...

My setup will have the following:
  • Tank
    • Fluval Edge 46L
  • Filtration
    • Original HOB filter with upgraded impeller (basically an AquaClear 50)
  • Light
    • Original Lighting fixture (should be ok for low tech)
  • Heater
    • Juwel 200W Heater
  • Substrate
    • ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
    • Dennerle Deponit Nutriballs
  • Liquid CO2
    • Flourish Excel
  • Fertilisers
    • DIY EI ferts used on my other tanks
  • Plant list (so far):
    • Mini Java Fern
    • Anubias nana
    • Anubias barteri
    • Cryptocoryne wendtii
    • Helanthium tenellum
    • Postemon Erectus
    • Mini Lobelia
  • Critters
    • Neon Tetras
    • Red Cherry Shrimp
    • Red Ramshorn Snails
    • Malaysian Trumpet Snails (maybe)
For the hardscape, I'll only use two pieces of wood with plants attached. I also have some Seiryu Rock I may use if the wood only doesn't make me happy.

I moved some substrate from my older tank, so the cloudiness makes pictures worthless... pics tomorrow (hopefully).

Daughter has same tank which she is struggling with a bit, lack of effort I think mainly. So will definitely be watching yours. Impeller upgrade- will have to look into that for her :)

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

Your hardscape and plants will define this tank. It's difficult to access it for maintenance etc. The stock light will struggle potentially mainly to reach the bottom levels.

Looking forward to how you scape this one.

Impeller upgrade- will have to look into that for her
You just need to get an Aqua Clear 50 impeller to replace the original one. They are the same size, but the blades are a bit larger, almost doubling the amount of water flowing through the filter.

Your hardscape and plants will define this tank. It's difficult to access it for maintenance etc. The stock light will struggle potentially mainly to reach the bottom levels.
My Fluval Chi is pretty much maintenance free, so I'm hopping to get the same out of the Edge.
The tanks are in a conservatory, so they get some light throughout the day. The Chi has a Chihiros A-Series light in the second lowest setting, so I believe the Edge won't need a light upgrade... fingers crossed!

I had an issue with one of my quarantine tanks, so it means the Fluval Edge plans will be delayed for a few weeks.

I also need way more plants than the ones I have at the moment. So I need to get some proper propagation going... probably need a couple more pieces of wood as well...

Quarantine tank sorted, so let's get some planting done! :p
It's not quite there yet... I still need a load more plants to fill it with, but it's starting to look nice.
Most plants I have at the moment are also small, so I thing this will be a tank I'll be patient with (or try my best)

IMG_20171019_114809.jpg

Sorry about the reflection... as you can see, the left side of the tank is a bit bare at the moment, but I'm waiting for more plants to arrive.

2 updates in a single day... who does this?!? :lol:

Moved some shrimps and snails over from the Chi.

I got what I like to call a "mistery plant pack" today as well as some crypts. Another one is coming probably next week to finish this tank off.
IMG_20171019_180307.jpg

Does the chi have co2?

Great to see your updates!

It does, but just a tiny bit, about 1 bubble every 5 seconds. It probably doesn't need it as the drop checker stays blue all the time, but I'm kinda reluctant to change anything on the Chi, since it's basically maintenance free...
Just saying that you may have a harder time in this tank without co2. Seems that the chi has higher light and co2.

EDIT: This was my 1000th post! :eek:

Just saying that you may have a harder time in this tank without co2. Seems that the chi has higher light and co2.
I am aware... I do have the CO2 system that I removed from my other tank, and know where to get a stronger light that fits inside the lid, but would like to see how things evolve without it (if my patience allows it). Considering that there's only a small opening on the top of the tank, I hope it helps a bit.

Good news are the other batch of plants arrived yesterday.
Bad news are, most of the pennyworth melted in the propagator during the night, so don't have as much as I'd like. Again... patience will be key with this tank. (I'm starting to boil inside)

So, now I'm just waiting for a bit of Staurogyne repens from @Konsa next week to fill in a gap or two, and it's done!

I'm quite happy, considering the amount of planning I put into this (which was none)... I just picked up what I had available and tried to fill the gaps. Now I can't wait to see how it evolves.

So here goes nothing...

IMG_20171021_113111.jpg
IMG_20171021_113056.jpg

Last edited:
I've done a DIY light for my edge 23 which I will show at some stage. You can do the same if you want better coverage.

Looks good, I'd get some zoomed magnetic clips, and tie anubias on so that you can have the entire back wall covered with plants; as opposed to empty upper levels, unless that is the intention

I've done a DIY light for my edge 23 which I will show at some stage. You can do the same if you want better coverage.
Please do share! :) The tank is in a conservatory and gets some sunlight as well, so I'm hoping I won't need to upgrade it. I've bought a DIY marine light on ebay for this tank and the guy also builds the same thing for freshwater, but at £99 I think I'd rather buy a Chihiros LED instead

Looks good, I'd get some zoomed magnetic clips, and tie anubias on so that you can have the entire back wall covered with plants; as opposed to empty upper levels, unless that is the intention
I'm hoping the plants on the back will grow a bit more to cover most of the background. But nice tip!

So... I have more plants on the way... :rolleyes: Hydrocotyle tripartita and Staurogyne repens are still going into this tank... I'm not expecting both plants to arrive in great condition, so I may have to leave them in a propagator for a while before I actually put them in the tank.

Also on the way... fish! Which I'll keep a secret until they arrive. I'm a bit worried about the filter not being fit for the job... I ordered online to save some money, and my quarantine tank is currently full (with a bunch of Goldfish), so I'll have to add them all to the tank in one go. Luckily, I have a Eheim Classic Filter laying around if problems arise.

I'm fighting against myself and the urge to turn this tank into a high tech... I don't know how much longer I can fight it! :drowning:

P.S. Rant
: My post count went down to 980 now... Damn you deleted "For Sale/Swap/Wanted" posts! :mad:

Forgot to say... there's a surprise already planted in this tank... let's hope it germinates! :p
Algea!!! Hope not m8

Although enevitable if we reach to the upper limits then dail back a bit.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

Algea!!! Hope not m8

Although enevitable if we reach to the upper limits then dail back a bit.
I don't plant algae Zeus (not the bad kind anyway)! :lol: But as long as the snails & shrimp can eat it, it's welcome! :)

So... someone asked me for a plant list on facebook... and I've done it. I hadn't realised how much variety I had! :eek:
(The surprise plant was excluded from the list!)

The ones I'm sure about:
- Anubias nana
- Anubias Barteri
- Valisneria sp.
- Twisted Valisneria
- Mini Java Fern
- Mini Lobelia
- Pennywort
- Cryptocoryne wendtii (or willisii, not sure) Green
- Cryptocoryne wendtii Brown
- Helanthium tenellum
- Pogostemon erectus
- Cabomba caroliniana
- Bacopa monnieri
- Aponogeton natans
- frogbit (hidden at the top)

Mistery plants I'm not sure about:
- Nesaea crassicaules (or Ludwigia palustris/arcuata, not sure)
- Hygrophila difformis
- Hygrophila polysperma
- Cabomba piauhyensis

Still on the way are:
- Staurogyne repens (arrived today)
- Hydrocotyle tripartita

Please do share! :) !
I made these with leftover housing from LED strips (ebay) and some new waterproof high CRI led that I got from ebay. It's the world's worst DIY but I covered up the rough edges by using black spray paint.

37323669030_bd086280e6_b.jpg
2017-10-09_11-00-50 by Reb El, on Flickr

36978353873_a1b1cbbc2e_b.jpg
2017-10-12_06-21-18 by Reb El, on Flickr

The fishies arrived this morning!!! :D

The fish arrived early this morning. They were very pale and I was late to work, because I didn't want to leave them in the bags any longer. Gladly the ones I got are very small in size at the moment, so I think the filter will be able to do it's job properly and mature along with the fish.
Didn't have time to take pics, but will do so today at some point. I want a record on how much they'll color up in a few days/weeks.

Hopefully the male Endler I couldn't catch when I sold all my fish and have now moved to this tank will get along and feel a bit more comfortable with the new additions.

Back