• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

In-vitro stem plants failing

Sandgrownun

Seedling
I'm having real trouble growing certain stems only available in-vitro and repeatedly failing but really want these plants. Plants are ammania sp. Bonsai, ludwigia H'ra and Ludwig Guinea.

The plants start of well then start to melt away from the bottom up. I think the problem is related to getting the clump size and planting density right to prevent rotting in the substrate. I have tried three brands and the culture is always very undeveloped with no root structure for these species. Unlike rosettes, epiphites and bulkier stems like alternanthera I find it impossible to separate the stems. I have tried with clumps of 5-6 stems and smaller clumps of 2-3 stems but same happens. Any less is too fragile to plant and simply float away and go up the filter.

I can't find any videos of any of the usual suspects planting stems like these from culture and suspect I am doing something fundamentally wrong. Can anyone please help. I don't want to give up.

i tried ammania bonsai in vitro also...it failed....got 2 stems from a friend that were not in vitro and they are growing nicely so far....even seen 2 side shoots....so yeah....sometimes in vitro just wont work

Tank is 55 litre cube. Co2 injection, fluval plant 3 lighting, 50% water change twice weekly. All other plants flourishing. Pot stems growing inch a day. Nice red Ludwigia super red. Crystal clear water. Just these species in- vitro I am struggling with.

I'm not familiar with JBL proscape, but I've experienced something very similar using ADA AS. Judging by what I've read it appears to be similar to ADA AS, in that it's loaded with nutrients. When it's fresh apparently AS can sometimes effectively cause nutrient burn and plant necrosis. I guess that's why many folk leave it to soak in situ for a couple of weeks prior to planting...Plantless cycling.

Filter?
pH profile?
DC colour?
in-vitro plants have good CO2 then we pop them in deep water poor flow/CO2 and the struggle with the change to submerged and melt also ;)

Tank is aqua nano 40 with back filter rated 600lph. Got it on full flow with aftermarket spray bar. Diffusing the co2 in the last filter chamber 1bps and borderline yellow in opposite corner on DC. Livestock 7 dwarf rainbows, 4 ottos and 10 amanos. Ph 6.6. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20. I don't know hardness but suspect soft from substrate. Tap water is ph 7.7 so buffered down in tank.

I am thinking I am simply dividing and planting incorrectly rather than any environment issue. Plants are rotting in the substrate not the water column if you know what I mean. It's like they suffocate each other in the soil.

Also doing half dose EI this time around as pot stems are thriving and to rule out deficiencies.

I'm not familiar with JBL proscape, but I've experienced something very similar using ADA AS. Judging by what I've read it appears to be similar to ADA AS, in that it's loaded with nutrients. When it's fresh apparently AS can sometimes effectively cause nutrient burn and plant necrosis. I guess that's why many folk leave it to soak in situ for a couple of weeks prior to planting...Plantless cycling.

I have read something similar. Only seems delicate stems like ludwigia is affected. I planted pogestomon erectus from culture a week ago and that has grown thick and 4 inches already

Try DC opposite corner to output just above substrate.

Son has Aqua nano 60 and he struggled with carpet at first

That's where I have it. Circulation was stuck to left side before but spray bar fixed that. I can see the micro bubbles moving around tank and have good sway everywhere so don't think its circulation.

Back