Inadvertent Heating

When I bought one of those stick-on thermometer strips for my Nano I assumed it was just inaccurate as it always seemed to over read. I have a 10L Nano without a heater. Out of curiosity I checked the temperature with a scientific and an old photographic thermometer that I have and they both agreed with the stick-on one. They all read about 23.7°C which is a surprise as ambient air temperature in the room it’s in is only just over 22°C. A minor mystery then I realised the internal filter must be having a slight heating effect.

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
A minor mystery then I realised the internal filter must be having a slight heating effect.
They have quite strong heating effect in a nano.

If you have a small tank with a lid as well and then factor in the light they will often read ~5oC warmer than the the room temperature. This isn't ideal in the summer, but useful at other times of the year.

cheers Darrel

I considered the light but it’s a single COB LED and it’s well above the tank and I have a loose glass cover.

Even when I had a 50 Gallon aquarium the hottest time in the summer was a bit of a problem.