• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Indian almond leave and co2

Stephen swan

Hi guys
So it’s widely viewed that India. Almond leaves have great benefits to Betta fish.
My question is if we use co2 with Indian almond leaves and the both of them dropping PH would that mean that we could be getting false co2 readings on the drop checker ?

Hi guys
So it’s widely viewed that India. Almond leaves have great benefits to Betta fish.
My question is if we use co2 with Indian almond leaves and the both of them dropping PH would that mean that we could be getting false co2 readings on the drop checker ?

No - there is an air gap between the tank water and the DC indicator solution, where only gas can travel. That is the whole point of a drop checker, it uses standardised 4dKH water (typically), and is unaffected by the tank water chemistry, so it’s pH is only affected by the CO2 that travels across the air gap and diffuses into the solution, leading to the colour change.

Adding Indian almond leaves may affect direct pH readings in tank, particularly if you have soft water with a low dKH and depending on how many you add and how large they are.

Tht is a great answer and totally makes sense.
Guess it was a numb question really but couldn’t find an answer on here or internet
Thanks for clearing that up

Tht is a great answer and totally makes sense.
Guess it was a numb question really but couldn’t find an answer on here or internet
Thanks for clearing that up

No, not a dumb question at all, there’s no such thing - the only dumb thing is to wonder the answer, and not ask. To help one another in our combined knowledge as aquarists, is the main reason for this forum to exists as far as I’m concerned 👍🏻

Back