• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Infusoria

I’ve used escarole (the green lettuce type) in a bigger glass jar with a wide opening. I let the escarole soften in boiled water, let it cool down and then top up with tank water. It’s good to add some mulm or organic stuff from the tank as well. Place in a bright warm location, preferably two or more jars so that you can refresh them at different times. But it can take at a least a week for a culture to develop. The water should first get cloudy or milky (bacterial bloom) and then “foggy” (infusoria). I wouldn’t know how to speed things up. Do you have a microscope to check?

Ok. Seems I'm on the right track then. Didn't have to much greens in the house for the first batch I made friday. Haricots and spinach. It's rather cloudy and smelly now. Will make another batch today with a cabbage leaf.
They took me with my pants down so to speak; I did notice a bubblenest thursday, but I didn't know he had done the deed. But friday I could see all the little tails from the hanging fry. They're just about to go free swimming now. He has moved them several times, but is just about to lose interest.

Oh. This is fun.

WIN_20200902_11_24_53_Pro.jpg WIN_20200902_11_02_39_Pro.jpg

Those were from the bird basin in the garden.
My own efforts at growing infusoria has failed miserably so far. Dunno where I'm screwing up.
One has dry grass, rainwater and a bit of mulm (from substrate, not filter). The other has rainwater, mulm and a blanched cabbage. The haricots thing got too nasty and got thrown out on the 6th day, after I held my nose and checked in the scope.
Do I need more mulm to 'seed'? How important are light/temperature? This ought to be easier than falling over...
I still spot 1-2 fry occasionally, and as a fairly mulmy 2 year old lowtech tank, there ought to be a bit for them to find here and there. But still :(

Hi all,
Oh. This is fun.
A stalked <"Ciliate Protozoan"> and something close to <"Paramecium">.
Those were from the bird basin in the garden.
One has dry grass, rainwater and a bit of mulm (from substrate, not filter).
Do I need more mulm to 'seed'?
You can use use the dry grass culture and an innoculum from the bird bath.
How important are light/temperature?
I like reasonably warm and light, if you get a "green water" bloom that is a result, and just as good for your fry.

cheers Darrel

Yeah, I was wondering about using an inoculum from the bird bath, but worried (unnecessarily?) about the risk of introducing parasites or something... I will try that ASAP.

Some kind of Vorticella I think, for the stalked ciliate, btw. There was plenty of rotifers too, at least 2 kinds.

Back