• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Inline dosing of ferts

KyleCooper

Seedling
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has tried to attach a dosing pump to some sort of inline diffuser like a modified CO2 atomiser or something? Just though it would be a efficient way to dose?

Regards
Kyle :)

I guess you could do it directly, with a 45° T, the problem I foresee is you would need a return valve to prevent water running back to the fert canister when you are not dosing. Since the fert solution contains a high dose of salts it will deposit in the valve and make it leak at one time.

Rather maintenance demanding...

Thanks Zozo, I did think of having a valve but I didn’t think about the possible salt build up. Another option I was thinking was to attach to the venturi adaptor of a power head. Do you think this would have the same issue of the water siphoning or pushing back?

I thought of that too, a venturi creates a vacuum pressure (Under pressure) and therefore a suction instead. You might not need a valve, but the opening in front of the venturi is rather tiny. I guess it will clog even sooner. What I do not know is, if the vacuum pressure from the venturi has a strong enough lift to create a constant flow of fert solution even without the pump running.

The same could be happening with a 45°T placed in the correct flow direction that is reduced with a, for example, 12x4x12mm connection since it is an open system and if the outlet/spray bar isn't providing counter pressure the 4mm nozzle might have suction instead. Since the T in itself is a reducer in the hose and it could function as a venturi.

But it will all stand and fall with intensive maintenance to make it stable... Might be more work maintaining it than dosing by hand. Neglection will only result in unstable fert administering.

It's a trial and error. But about every automated fert system whatever design I've seen is prone to salt deposits and clogging.

I would have thought the safest way to ensure decent distribution (I’m assuming that’s why you’re asking about I lime) is to have the outlet from the dosing pump pump into the flow of a power head or spray bar.

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has tried to attach a dosing pump to some sort of inline diffuser like a modified CO2 atomiser or something? Just though it would be a efficient way to dose?

Regards
Kyle :)

IMO think it dripping in the tank is the best approach and no chance of backflow if non return valve fails. Also fail to see it being any more efficient. Think only advantage would be cosmetic

Back