Inline External Heater

adavin

I'm just setting up an ADA 90p with a filter. Wondering how you folks are heating you tanks and do you place the heaters on the display tank?

chrisfraser05

I've run a hydro et200 on my small tank for about 8 years and love it.

Wouldn't want to go back to internal again.

For my new larger system I'm waiting on delivery of an Ehiem 5e 600t thermo filter so I can combine the whole thing.

I run a Hydor 200W external on my 25 litre nano tank, because I wanted to keep all equipment out of the tank as far as possible.

That wattage is obviously far too much for the size of tank, so I drive the heater from an STC-1000 temperature controller that I’ve mounted in a plastic box. If either the controller or the heater should fail in the “on” state, the other should cut off.

Whatever heater you use, I’d recommend doubling up with a temperature controller so that you’re protected in the event of the heater sticking on - I understand that’s the commonest failure mode.

Luketendo

Hydor 200W external on my 60p tank. These were unavailable in Australia for a while because I think they have redesigned them to avoid the failures they used to have. Although currently it is unplugged since it is no longer winter.

adavin

Thanks for all your responses. I think i'm going to go down this route.