• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Inline solenoid?

Nick potts

Been watching a few green aqua vids on youtube, in a few on co2 I have noticed that when they are setting up the system they have been putting the solenoid inline after the needle valve.

How does this work (sorry if I am being thick :) ), surely when the solenoid turns off pressure will continue to build up in the lines until it fails?

The reason I ask is inline would be great from me to add to a few setups, but I think I am missing something.

TIA

Physically it doesn't really make much of a difference where the solenoid is placed. If placed behind the needle valve the pressure still will build up till the set pressure on the regulator. The only difference will be it will buildup at a slower rate.

The best logical place for the solenoid is as close as possible to the regulator if possible connected directly to the regulator. If there is any plastic tube between regulator and solenoid then this tube will fill up with pressure, blow up like a balloon (sort of) and release this pressure with a woosh when the solenoid opens.

Thus any length of hose between regulator and solenoid can not be explained as acting beneficially what so ever because according physics it makes no sense. :) Depending on the used tube the risk of the contrary is greater.

Last edited:
Physically it doesn't really make much of a difference where the solenoid is placed. If placed behind the needle valve the pressure still will build up till the set pressure on the regulator. The only difference will be it will buildup at a slower rate.

The best logical place for the solenoid is as close as possible to the regulator if possible connected directly to the regulator. If there is any plastic tube between regulator and solenoid then this tube will fill up with pressure, blow up like a balloon (sort of) and release this pressure with a woosh when solenoid opens.

Thus any length of hose between regulator and solenoid can not be explained as acting beneficially what so ever because according physics it makes no sense. :)
Oh yes, definitely should be attached to the reg (my current regs with solenoids are all attached directly)

I was just not sure I was missing something when watching the videos (I have also seen it elsewhere often) as it didn't make sense to me either and I would expect a big name like GA to know there stuff and certainly more than me :)

Well if the tube is rated up to the set pressure and doesn't expand it will not make much of a difference. :) Then you can put it where ever you seem fit...

Back