• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Input on filter/flow setup.

kilnakorr

I'm currently running a 1900l/h external filter on my 360 L tank.
Water goes through a large CO2 reactor and out through a full length spray bar.
This isn't enough flow, so a flow pump helps move water around.

I have been thinking of adding one more filter of same type (1900 l/h) instead of the flow pump.

I have 1 more reactor and dual needle valve, so I can make 2 identical setups.

Does this sound as a good setup?

Just to double check and avoid any possible confusion, you do mean a CO2 reactor and not CO2 inline diffuser? (I'm quite sure you do!)

I found when using a CO2 reactor that it completely knocked the flow from my filter. My filter(s) were Fluval G6s', they had an actual flow rate of 1000 LPH and pump power of 2460LPH, what was nice about this filter was the on screen display that showed several things including amount of flow being passed through and it was nearly halving it, I removed the reactor after a while and flow would never return to full, despite replacing the impeller etc.
Just some food for thought.

Did you try the 1 filter alone before you tried including the reactor?
If you were to assume the 10x tank turnover 'rule' then you would be looking for 3600 LPH; I'm not saying I agree with this rule and you are already making up some/all of this shortfall with your "flow pump".
Are you trying to get rid of the flow pump and just rely on spraybar(s) powered by the external filters alone?
In my personal opinion I think if you can do away with things in the aquarium then all the better
Having one spraybar powered by 2 pumps (the same) is possible, as is making your own spraybar with relative ease using some simple DIY skills, this also gives you the chance to adjust hole sizes/spacings as you wish.

I made a spraybar for my 900 which I did run using 2 identical pumps, the picture will hopefully show you how I added 2 filters to the one continual spraybar to give the most equal distribution of flow although at this point I was running it using only 1 filter as I didn't need the power. Happy to answer any questions. :)
20190701_221216.jpg

Aquamedic inline CO2 reactor
reactor.jpg

CO2art inline diffuser
diffuser.jpg

@Andrew Butler
Yes a CO2 reactor. It doesn't restrict flow that much, but flow is a little to low.
Flow pump easily make up for it, but as all other pumps, flow is uneven.

It doesn't restrict flow that much
If you have a new filter that's exactly the same, then maybe it's worth, purely out of interest seeing how much the flow rate varies (if it does) - fill a container with each filter and leave the reactor on the old one. If I'm to believe what the display told me on my filter it was reduced much more than you think, although I'm not saying yours is the same.

I think if you can use a spraybar and it doesn't leave any dead spots then stick with it, so I'd add the extra filter. Personally, purely from experience I'd ditch the reactors when using a canister filter. :confused:

Just my opinion.

purely out of interest seeing how much the flow rate varies (if it does) - fill a container with each filter and leave the reactor on the old one.

I'm planning on adding a reactor to the other filter aswell, for even distribution.
The reactor only slows the spray from the bars about an inch or so. What that means in l/h I can't say.

Ok. Bought my second filter and have one more question:
Easy setup: intake and output in same side per filter.
Shorter intake hoses.
Insufficient water mix?

Harder setup: Filter intake and output in opposite sides.

Longer, bending intake hoses.
Better mix of water?

What are your thoughts?

Hi,
I would take the easy path. At the end of the day, will you not have an intake at either end, while the output will be through a spraybar? So it doesn't really matter that much which filter intakes the effluent from which filter. What's most important is that you get good motion of water and good distribution of the gas, regardless of filter position.

Cheers,

I
would take the easy path. At the end of the day, will you not have an intake at either end, while the output will be through a spraybar?

Thanks for the reply.
I took the difficult way, as I found it wasn't a huge problem. Tank has holes in bottom, and I already had input/output from the first filter in opposite corners, so one hose was already there.

I love the flow, from a full length spray bar with 2 filters, and no more powerhead with uneven distribution.

Gotta turn in CO2, and mix new ferts and hopefully get plants back on track (something has bombed the health of my plants and can't figure out why)

Back