• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Insane

I saw the whole programme on TV last night and it was just unbelievable :wideyed:. It was disturbing enough watching it, let alone being there. That poor bloke in the lorry was mortified. And as for one night in prison - what was the judge taking? Whether you believe a prison sentence was justified or not, I can't see the point of going through the paperwork and logistics of getting someone into prison for one night. Complete waste of time.

The other cases raised a few questions of their own. The police picked up two guys who'd just entered the country illegally and, after a few checks, just gave them directions to the immigration office :rolleyes:. Did they register? Duh? It's not the police's fault, they are just doing what they are told. So now these two guys are probably working for cash in the UK and not paying any tax, national insurance and community charge. In fact they picked up another guy that showed the consequences: He was driving with no licence and insurance, which he couldn't get anyway because he'd been in the country for going on ten years on a six-month visa. OK, they've got him now and fined him £800 or so, but that doesn't cover the cost of tracking him down and he's not been contributing in terms of tax & NI for ten years. Nor insurance premiums for that matter.

I've got no problem with immigration and asylum but you can't let people just slip through the system so naively.

Back