• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Installing JBL M601 - Need some advice please

Cro

I'm currently installing a JBL M601 Co2 system and have a question regarding CH. In the booklet for the Permanent Co2 test it says I need to know the CH of the water so i can attach the correct sticker in order to see it everything is OK. That part is fine, however it gives figures of 4-6 & 6-8 but my API test strips show Ch (or as it says on the tube KH :? ) from 0 through to 240. So with the equipment i have to hand how can I tell which sticker I need to put on the permanent co2 test?

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex
I don't profess to be an expert on all things co2 yet (only been into this planted tank game for about 2 months now) and I'm sure someone will shoot me down if I'm wrong, but I have learnt that your eyes are the best indicator checker you could ever have instead of comparing it to a label. I have a jbl system and my labels went in the bin after about a week. :lol:
When I say this I mean that the general rule of thumb is that
Blue is bad = <30ppm = not enough co2 = slow plant growth and healthy fish :(
Green/Lime Green is good = approx 30ppm = healthy plants and healthy fish :D
Yellow is bad = >30ppm = very healthy plants and dead fish :wideyed:
In truth the drop checker is really a pH monitor.
So if this is your first foray into the world of co2 my advice would be to start your co2 dosing slowly (especially if you have fish) and gradually increase your co2 until you get a nice green/lime green colour in your indicator. If you get a yellow colour, you've gone too far so back it off a bit.
One word of advice I would offer you is that you will have to be patient after you make an adjustment to your co2 dosing rate as the indicator can take some 2-3 hours to adjust itself to the correct colour depending on your flow around the tank. Talking of flow, you will now also find yourself tweaking your flow rates and flow directions around your tank too to get an even spread of this valuable commodity we call co2.
This is a great place to get info I have to say, I've gleaned loads of useful info here off of some people that really know this planted tank game and I'm sure they'll add anything if I've missed it (or correct me if I'm wrong).
I think the words 'patient' and 'planted tank' should always be used in the same sentence, they belong together and it becomes a way of life. But worth it in the end. :D
Good luck.

Chris

Hi Alex

CH is KH.

The figure 240 refers to 240ppm or mg/l.

4 to 6 and 6 to 8 with be degrees KH (dKH).

One degree is 17.9ppm so 240/17.9 = 13.4

So your KH is 13.4.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about the stickers etc.

Instead invest in some 4dKH solution to fill your permanent CO2 test and follow this guide -

http://www.ukaps.org/drop-checker.htm

I hope this helps.

George Farmer said:
Hi Alex

CH is KH.

The figure 240 refers to 240ppm or mg/l.

4 to 6 and 6 to 8 with be degrees KH (dKH).

One degree is 17.9ppm so 240/17.9 = 13.4

So your KH is 13.4.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about the stickers etc.

Instead invest in some 4dKH solution to fill your permanent CO2 test and follow this guide -

http://www.ukaps.org/drop-checker.htm

I hope this helps.
It looks so easy when you know how.

Thanks very much.

Alex

Back